"Creek to Lock to Bridge" Deep Creek by grandmaR
Deep Creek Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 29 photos
We've been to Deep Creek once by car and three times by boat. It is a small community on the edge of the city of Chesapeake which is on US 17 south of Norfolk, and at the head of the Dismal Swamp Canal.
To get to the canal, a cruising boat will turn off the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River after they go under the Gilmerton bridge (US 13 bridge) and the high I-64 bridge and go up Deep Creek to the lock.
The other route (Virginia Cut) that is taken by larger boats, deeper draft boats, tugs, barges, and most power boats goes on down and through the lock in Great Bridge.
The lock operates 4 times a day - first to let northbound boats down to Deep Creek, and then to lift southbound boats up about 8 feet to the canal. There is a lock tender who operates both the lock and the bridge(pictured from the road) which is right after the lock. It goes up twice for each lock opening - 8 times a day.
- Pros:Rural but near the city
- In a nutshell:On a less traveled route
When I started to write up the Great Bridge area, I discovered that the locks have parks associated with them Located... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Deep Creek Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Deep Creek
- 2 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Deep Creek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deep Creek
Photos in Deep CreekSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues