"Pseudo-Colonial Atmosphere for the Automobile" Colonial National Historical Parkway by grandmaR
Colonial National Historical Parkway Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 15 photos
The Colonial National Historic Parkway links the Big Three colonial sites (Jamestown, Williamsburg and Yorktown) and it was concieved to create the "colonial atmosphere" thought necessary for the visitor experience. The parkway even runs under the restoration area of Colonial Williamsburg although I have not driven on that part of it although I have seen it on the map
There is one other national parkway -- the John D. Rockerfeller National Parkway which connects the north entrance of Grant Teton National Park with the south entrance of Yellowstone
"In 1932, NPS landscape architect Edward Zimmer developed a planting plan that guided tree placement and vista development. Four Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps were established in Yorktown in 1933, one of which was involved in parkway planting operations. Pines, cedars, dogwoods, redbuds, tulip and beech trees were planted along slopes to create a "natural" environment along the road. Special attention was made to create a canopy cover along the Yorktown to Williamsburg stretch in order to provide a shady tunneling effect."
- Pros:Calm and peaceful - no billboards
- Cons:No Services
- In a nutshell:Extraordinary Measures to Create a Plain Road
If you want to drive on a road that has no visual pollution, this is the place. The first photo was taken in 1963. The... more travel advice
There are various turnouts (scenic overlooks) along the Colonial Parkway which allow you to read the informational... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Colonial National Historical Parkway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pseudo-Colonial Atmosphere for the Automobile"
- Create a Colonial National Historical Parkway Travel Page
- Things to Do in Colonial National Historical Parkway
- Warnings and Dangers in Colonial National Historical Parkway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colonial National Historical Parkway
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (528)
Have you been to Colonial National Historical Parkway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colonial National Historical Parkway
- Posted in Travel Hawaii, Island of Forum "Re: Hawaii, one week"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Appreciate the Scenery/Learn the History"
- updated a Colonial National Historical Parkway Travel Page "Pseudo-Colonial Atmosphere for the Automobile"
- Wrote a Review National Parkway in Colonial National Historical Parkway Favorites
Photos in Colonial National Historical ParkwaySee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues