"Wolf Hills, Blacks Fort or Abingdon" Abingdon by grandmaR
Abingdon Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 19 photos
Abingdon carried the name of "Wolf Hills" until 1774 when Joseph Black erected a fort in the area, and gave it the name "Blacks Fort." When Washington County was established in 1776, Black's Fort was designated the county seat. The town was incorporated as Abingdon in 1778. It is said that the town's name was derived from the name of Martha Washington's family home in Alexandria, Virginia.
We only stayed the night in Abingdon on the way home from Dallas, so I did not explore the town and all we saw of it was the hotel and the interestate.
Bob walked across the street and brought dinner back from Long John Silver. I looked up the menu first and told him we... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Abingdon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wolf Hills, Blacks Fort or Abingdon"
- "Family Fun"
- "JVENUTO's new Abingdon Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Abingdon
- 2 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Abingdon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abingdon
Photos in AbingdonSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues