Salt Lake City Sports & Outdoors Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
Salt Lake City Sports & Outdoors: 22 reviews and 33 photos
Plane's shadow as we come in for a landing
I don't play golf, but I took this picture from the plane, which shows that Salt Lake City's sports possibilities are not limited to winter sports, swimming in the lake or hiking.
This is probably Wingepointe, which is right there at the Salt Lake International Airport, and the airport is not at all far from the city itself. West Ridge Golf Course at 5600 West is about 15 minutes south of the airport. It is closer to West Valley and South Valley lodging properties
Equipment: Salt Lake City has a tee-time reservation service that allows you to reserve a tee time at any golf course operated by Salt Lake City 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It's free to register for this service
Phone: (801) 485-7730
Snow on mountains in June 1999
When I arrived in Salt Lake, another traveler commented to me that the airport was going to be a giant mega-bottleneck during the Olympics because it was so inefficiently managed. They couldn't even tell us which carousel our luggage would arrive on.
We only got to see the 2002 Winter Olympics on TV, so that didn't worry me too much. Bob was recovering from his heart attack, and it was an interesting thing to watch at that time.
Equipment: KEY FACTS
08 February 2002 (the day that Bob had his angioplasty)
24 February 2002
Country of the host city:
United States of America (USA)
Östersund (SWE), Quebec (CAN) and Sion (SUI)
Summary of the games from the Olympics website:
The Salt Lake City Olympic Winter Games saw the expansion of the Olympic programme to 78 events, including the return of skeleton and the introduction of women's bobsleigh. Athletes from a record 18 nations earned gold medals. Canadian teams won both the men's and women's ice hockey tournaments. Ole Einar Bjoerndalen earned gold medals in all four biathlon events and Samppa Lajunen in all three Nordic combined competitions. Alpine skier Janica Kostelic won three gold medals and one silver. Simon Ammann scored unexpected victories in both individual ski jump events. Speedskater Claudia Pechstein earned her third straight gold medal in the 5,000m race and also won at 3,000m. By taking the silver medal in singles luge, Georg Hackl became the first person in Olympic history to earn a medal in the same individual event five times in a row. Short track speedskater Yang Yang (A) became the first Chinese athlete to win a gold medal at the Winter Games. Competing in the women’s bobsleigh, Vonetta Flowers became the first black athlete to earn winter gold, while ice hockey player Jarome Iginla followed as the first black male winner.
77 National Olympic Committees (Nations)
2,399 athletes (886 women, 1,513 men)
8,730 media (2,661 written press, 6,069 broadcasters)
More Reviews (27)
- See All Horse and Carriage
- See All Carryout Only
- See All Across from the Temple
- See All Unintended Consequences?
grandmaR's Related Pages
Salt Lake City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"
- "Looking up Ancestors"
- "Salt Lake City"
- "My Home Town"
- "Ooooh! It was freeezing COLD in Utah!"
- "Mormans, Salt & Beehives....."
- "Salt Lake City: Why have just one?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salt Lake City
- Hotels in Salt Lake City
- Transportation in Salt Lake City
- Nightlife in Salt Lake City
- Restaurants in Salt Lake City
- Shopping in Salt Lake City
- Warnings and Dangers in Salt Lake City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salt Lake City
- 29 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (512)
Have you been to Salt Lake City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salt Lake City
Photos in Salt Lake CitySee All Photos (106)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (54)
- Temple Square- 32 Reviews, 53 Photos
- The view- 4 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Great Salt Lake- 10 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Antelope Island SP- 10 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Mormon Tabernacle- 5 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Winter Olympics 2002- 12 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Beehive House- 4 Reviews, 8 Photos
- State Capitol- 8 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Cottonwood Canyons- 3 Reviews, 7 Photos
- City Sites- 5 Reviews, 10 Photos
See All Salt Lake City Things to Do