Salt Lake City Warnings Or Dangers Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
Salt Lake City Warnings and Dangers: 20 reviews and 22 photos
Statue on top of the temple
The official name of the Mormon Church (or LDS) is
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
It was founded by Joseph Smith in the state of New York on April 6, 1830.
It is known by outsiders for the following things:
1) The Osmond family... and now Mitt Romney
2) Restriction on alcoholic beverages..
3) Inhospitable toward people of color because under the racial restrictions that lasted from the presidency of Brigham Young until 1978, persons with any black African ancestry could not hold the priesthood in the LDS Church and could not participate in some temple ordinances.
4) Genealogists know them for the extensive research library...
5) Door to door efforts to convert others (required of all church members)
6) Polygamy. Polygamy was practiced by Brigham Young and other elders of the church until it came time to join the United States as the State of Utah. ...
[4 and 5 because they believe that they are the only true church. They want to rebaptize living persons.]
As far as polygamy goes, after the Wilford Woodruff Manifesto eliminating polygamy as a doctrine of the church, President Benjamin Harrison's manifesto which offered amnesty to polygamists ended Utah's half-century struggle for statehood.
In 1998, President Gordon B. Hinckley made the following statement about the Church's position on plural marriage:
"This Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church. . . . If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church."
There are probably still people in the Church who believe in and practice polygamy. Periodically there are newspaper articles or TV shows that explore this possibility.
But this is no danger to tourists either. They're not recruiting for polygamy.
There has been a lot of reaction to #3 through misreading what I have written.
Embarr Wed Jul 16, 2008 04:34 EDT
Number 3 is incorrect. It's true about those with black African ancestry not holding the priesthood though. And number 6 is a beaten, dead horse when it comes to the LDS church.
wilocrek Wed Feb 6, 2008 22:02 EST
Interesting that your "Religious Restriction" tip was rated so high, considering how biased and slanted your tip really is. I'm from SLC and Asian and have never felt discriminated against until I read your bigoted tip. Thanks for that.
kasco3 Mon Apr 2, 2007 20:30 EDT
This "statement" of discriminations against persons of color is simply NOT true!! I am agnostic; NOT Mormon; but I have never seen it viewed in this community as being acceptable to be intolerant of another because of race.
You need to re-read the tip. Before 1978 there was discrimination in the church. What is true of the church doesn't necessarily apply to the community. Recognizing that there was discrimination is not the same as ADVOCATING discrimination. It is a fact that it existed in the past in the church
Between my hotel and the convention center was a big construction site. They had massive construction going on getting ready for the 2002 Winter Olympic Games. And I understand now they are repairing the capitol building. It's always something.
Two photos of William Fessenden Beasley
In my husband's family there were two men named John Baptist Beasley. The first one (c 1735 to 1790) married Elizabeth Blount whose father was John Blount. The second one (two generations later) 1796-1855 married Mary Alexander.
John Baptist Beasley is listed in the Family Search Ancestral Files of the LDS church as the husband of both Elizabeth Blount b. 19 Dec 1697 and Mary Blount b. 8 April, 1696. Both Elizabeth and Mary are the daughters of John Blount and Elizabeth Davis. Both have him listed as a second husband. Mary is alleged to have married him in 1735, the year he was born and she died, and Elizabeth in 1753 when he would have been 18 and she would have been 56.
This confusion arose because of the similarity of the names. I think that he married Elizabeth and Mary's niece Elizabeth, daughter of John Blount (Mary and Elizabeth's brother) and Sarah Vail.
So, not all of the information in the library is accurate. You have to double check everything and go back to original sources.
The man pictured is the son of the second John Baptist Beasley and Mary Alexander. He was my husband's great grandfather.
More Reviews (26)
- See All Horse and Carriage
- See All Carryout Only
- See All Across from the Temple
- See All Unintended Consequences?
grandmaR's Related Pages
Salt Lake City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"
- "Looking up Ancestors"
- "Salt Lake City"
- "My Home Town"
- "Ooooh! It was freeezing COLD in Utah!"
- "Mormans, Salt & Beehives....."
- "Salt Lake City: Why have just one?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salt Lake City
- Hotels in Salt Lake City
- Transportation in Salt Lake City
- Nightlife in Salt Lake City
- Restaurants in Salt Lake City
- Shopping in Salt Lake City
- Warnings and Dangers in Salt Lake City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salt Lake City
- 29 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Salt Lake City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salt Lake City
Photos in Salt Lake CitySee All Photos (106)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
- Temple Square- 32 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Antelope Island SP- 10 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Great Salt Lake- 10 Reviews, 21 Photos
- The view- 4 Reviews, 7 Photos
- 'This Is The Place' SP- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Winter Olympics 2002- 12 Reviews, 23 Photos
- State Capitol- 8 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Mormon Tabernacle- 5 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Family History Library- 8 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Beehive House- 4 Reviews, 8 Photos
See All Salt Lake City Things to Do