"Looking up Ancestors" Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City by grandmaR

Salt Lake City Travel Guide: 524 reviews and 1,255 photos

.I've been to Salt Lake City four times. Once in 1948 with my parents. I don't have a picture of that trip (I was only 10 at the time) but I remember my dad taking one of the Eagle Gate, and the Capitol Building.

The second time, we were driving our 1932 Plymouth from Norfolk, Viriginia to Monterey, California.

The third time was work related. In 1999, I flew out to take a technical class at the OSHA Technical Institute in analysis of air samples for work related contaminants.

We flew in Monday, June 14th and flew out again Friday morning June 18th.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, we would breakfast at the hotel, and then take a van to the OSHA Technical Institute for classes which started at 8:15 am and went to 3:30 pm.

After class in the afternoon, I'd walk over to the library and do research on my ancestors until they kicked me out of the library. So I didn't see as much of the city as I normally would have done (cf Seattle and Toronto).

Many of my Salt Lake pictures were taken from the plane of the trip across the Rockies.

The fourth time I had a plane change in Salt Lake in 2010 and spent the afternoon and night there.

• Pros:Clean small city with wide streets
  • Cons:Might seems a little dull
  • In a nutshell:Ancestors and Religion
  • Last visit to Salt Lake City: Jun 1999
  • Intro Updated Oct 25, 2013

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 1:21 PM

Thanks for this nice little virtual visit to Salt Lake City. We will be visiting in September to do some genealogy work! Greetings from Augusta, Georgia. Marcia

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 5:29 PM

I love that picture of the buildings against the storm clouds. I have also been there to look up ancestors while my son was living there. BTW, I recently read the one of the top 50 restaurants in the world is in SLC. Can't remember the name of it.

• globerover's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2004 at 8:43 AM

I simply had to have a look at this page, as a grand-uncle of mine emigrated to Salt Lake City in the early 1900s from Denmark; great areal views in the travelogues!!;

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Salt Lake City

Have you been to Salt Lake City?

Latest Activity in Salt Lake City