Fort Worth Off The Beaten Path Tips by grandmaR
Fort Worth Off The Beaten Path: 102 reviews and 203 photos
Cowboys herding the longhorns
There appears to be a tour where people sit in a grandstand (inset on right) and the chief drover and the other cowboys demonstrate various facets of the life and gear. We didn't pay for the tour and we couldn't hear everything that was said, but I could see that they were demonstrating the cracking of a blacksnake whip. There were a lot of school children there, so maybe it was a school tour.
Teacher's Curriculum - Four Hours of Fun
The Stockyards Station Walking Tour participates in a "Four Hours Of Fun in the Stockyards" Educational Program in partnership with the Fort Worth Herd, Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, and the Cowtown Cattlepen Maze. The complete package is $8.00 per person
Another view - going around
One interesting thing for those who haven't grown up with trains is to watch the locomotive engine turned around on a turntable so that it can go the other way. The antique steam locomotive comes in from Grapevine Texas to the Stockyard Station in Fort Worth. Turn-around in Grapevine is on a 1927 Santa Fe Railroad turntable.
If you don't want to ride in from Grapevine, you can take a shorter trip, because while in Fort Worth, the train makes a cross-city excursion to the city's south side along ten-mile course to Eighth Avenue. After arriving in Fort Worth from Grapevine, the locomotive pulls onto the ca. 1925 turntable to head south for a 10-mile trek along the famous Chisholm Trail. The one-hour journey goes through Trinity Park near Fort Worth's Cultural District and the Fort Worth Zoo.
"Puffy travels across the western edge of downtown Fort Worth to the southwestern area of the city, crossing both the West and Clear Forks of the Trinity River on large trestles that offer spectacular views of the Fort Worth skyline not seen from city streets"
Bucking bull not in use
Billy Bob's is America's "Best Country Music Nightclub," according to both the Country Music Association and the Academy of Country Music. Founded in 1981, it contains room enough for 6,000 people to drink, shoot pool, play videogames or dance to the live country music performed nightly. And on Friday and Saturday nights, it has real, live bullriding -- by professionals.
The tourists line up to have their pictures taken on a fake bucking bull. Just before the picture is snapped, red lights come on in the bull's eyes and smoke comes out of his nose. At $25 per shot.
We did not go to see the bull riding and we didn't walk back to BIlly Bob's at all. I did take this picture of a fake bull. I did not see anyone use try it.
Stock Exchange at 131 East Exchange Ave
The North Fort Worth Historical Society Museum, which features artifacts from the beginning of the development of the Stockyards is housed in the Stockyard Exchange. This building was constructed as a center for cattle traders in 1902 in the adobe style. It was often referred to as "The Wall Street of the West."
The building also houses professional services and is used for meetings.
Other Contact: 817-624-4741
Ticket booth and water tank
I do not know whether this is a Must See, Off the Beaten Track or a Tourist Trap, because I have not done it.
You pay $4.95 (for an adult) or $3.25 (for children 5-12) and get to try to find your way through a wooden maze made up of over 5,400 square feet of frequently changed wooden pathways, resembling the cattlepens of the old west. They apparently have races and other games with prizes.
The ticket booth is beside the water tank across from the Stockyard Station, and there is a second-story observation deck gives a place to watch people try the maze along with a vista of the entire Stockyards area.
I put an inset in of the side of the maze because it doesn't look very big from the street.
More Reviews (21)
- Victorian, Mountain Man, Cowboy or...
- See All Western Clothing
- See All TEXAS Cowboys
- See All A 19th Century Drover in the 21st...
grandmaR's Related Pages
Fort Worth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Fort Worth"
- "FORT WORTH"
- "Ft. Worth--Historic Stockyards, Art & Sundance Sq."
- "Sweetberry's Ft. Worth Page"
- "The Real Texas"
- "Texas Cow Town"
- "Dallas-Fort Worth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Worth
- Hotels in Fort Worth
- Transportation in Fort Worth
- Nightlife in Fort Worth
- Restaurants in Fort Worth
- Shopping in Fort Worth
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Worth
- See All...
Explore the World
- San Ysidro Hotels
- Turrialba Hotels
- Talladega Hotels
- Boca del Rio Hotels
- State of Uttar Pradesh
- Stavanger Off The Beaten Path
- North Korea Off The Beaten Path
- Runcorn Off The Beaten Path
- Isle of Man Off The Beaten Path
- Alcobaça Off The Beaten Path
- Snæfellsnes- og Hnappadalssýsla Off The Beaten Path
- Daytrip to Bled
- Solvang Off The Beaten Path
- Barcelos Off The Beaten Path
- North Yorkshire Off The Beaten Path
- Sochi Off The Beaten Path
- Moped Rental
Badges & Stats in Fort Worth
- 26 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Fort Worth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Worth
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
Latest Fort Worth hotel reviews
- Renaissance Worthington Hotel Fort Worth
- 348 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Residence Inn By Marriott Fort Worth River Plaza
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Radisson Hotel Fort Worth South
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- American Airlines Training and Conference Center
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Ambassador Hotel And Suites
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2013
- Stockyards Hotel
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Scottish Inn & Suites Fort Worth
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 4, 2013
- Country Inn & Suites Fort Worth
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Embassy Suites Fort Worth Downtown
- 475 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Lockheart Gables Bed & Breakfast
- 161 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Courtyard by Marriott Fort Worth University Drive
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Candlewood Suites DFW South
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Worth SW
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Hilton Fort Worth
- 420 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Stockyards Historic District- 45 Reviews, 83 Photos
- Botanic Garden- 35 Reviews, 88 Photos
- Stockyard Station- 9 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Bass Performance Hall- 7 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Fort Worth Zoo- 15 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Kimbell Art Museum- 12 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Fort Worth Water Gardens- 4 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Sundance Square- 7 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Billy Bob's Texas- 8 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Will Rogers Memorial Center- 7 Reviews, 17 Photos
See All Fort Worth Things to Do