Dallas Local Custom Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
Dallas Local Customs: 63 reviews and 59 photos
Construction on the highway
This area of Texas has the custom of paying contruction workers a bonus for completing the work as quickly as possible. For that reason (and possibly because a lot of the construction workers are Hispanic) one almost never hears about time over-runs. Stadiums, homes and roads - all are built very quickly and efficently.
They also have the interesting and helpful custom and building schools before they are needed.
My daughter's family room
It's easy to remember which is the Texas flag - it's the one with the single star. Some people say it was originally because Texas was the lone state of Mexico which was attempting to uphold its rights under the Mexican Constitution of 1824. Others say that the star represented the wish of many Texans to achieve statehood in the United States. A flag with a single star was raised at the Alamo (1836)
The flag was adopted as the state flag when Texas became the 28th state in 1845. As with the flag of the United States, the blue stands for loyalty, the white represents strength, and the red is for bravery.
The picture shows an iron star in a circle which my daughter and SIL had made for their family room. The pictures on the wall were painted by a medical illustrator who used to work for my father. The pencil drawing in the reddish frame was done by my daughter's paternal aunt. The picture of the steers over the fireplace was done by my grandmother.
More Reviews (52)
- See All Franchise Mexican
- See All A Warm Day in February
- See All Sports Fans
- See All Helicopters
- See All Farmers Market
grandmaR's Related Pages
Dallas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Dallas"
- "Dallas,Texas--Big, Bold and Friendly!!"
- "1997 Convention to 2006 Frisco grandchildren visit"
- "Goin' through the Big D and I mean Dallas!"
- "Dallas Texas"
- "Sweetberry's Dallas Page"
- "btex's Dallas Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dallas
- Hotels in Dallas
- Transportation in Dallas
- Nightlife in Dallas
- Restaurants in Dallas
- Shopping in Dallas
- Warnings and Dangers in Dallas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dallas
- 54 Reviews
- 173 Photos
- 27 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Dallas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dallas
- Posted in Travel Key West Forum "Re: Casablanca at Bogarts"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fair Park"
- updated a Dallas Travel Page "1997 Convention to 2006 Frisco grandchildren visit"
- Wrote a Review Franchise Mexican about On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina in Dallas Restaurants
- Commented on one of biljah's Dallas travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
- Reunion Tower- 17 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Fair Park- 41 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Southfork Ranch- 11 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Pioneer Plaza- 17 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Downtown- 27 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Dealey Plaza Dedication- 60 Reviews, 64 Photos
- World Aquarium- 12 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Botanical Garden- 14 Reviews, 43 Photos
- John Neely Bryan Cabin- 5 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Trammell Crow Center- 11 Reviews, 27 Photos
See All Dallas Things to Do