Beaumont Things to Do Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
Beaumont Things to Do: 23 reviews and 45 photos
The Preserve consists of nine land units and six water corridors encompassing more than 97,000 acres. It has 4 of the 5 kinds of carnivorous plants in the US. These are pitcher plants, sundews, bladderworts, and butterworts. The Sundew Trail (which was recommended by the lady at the visitor's center because it has a shorter inner loop) has two of them on it - Sundews and Pitcher Plants. The outer loop is 1.6 miles and the inner loop is .8 miles. Both loops are accessible; the inner loop is mostly boardwalk.
I took the little pamphlet (photo 5) which explains the trail from the box (and when we finished with the trail, I put it back). The pamphlet explained that four species of southern pine in this section (longleaf, shortleaf, loblolly and slash). It also explained that the sundew is a very small plant - often smaller than a dime - which is a flat red rosette with red hairlike glands. Each gland produces a sticky fluid which acts like flypaper to trap small insects.
So I was walking along the trail and slightly elevated boardwalk carefully inspecting the ground. Bob got somewhat ahead of me on the path, so when I actually found some sundews, he was out of earshot. I was thrilled to find them, and got down and took some pictures.The only thing that would make it better would be if I had some object in the picture to show the scale. But I didn't have any money, and in any case I couldn't have retrieved anything I put down there - like car keys. I wouldn't have minded losing a dime, but I wouldn't want to lose the keys.
After I got finished taking the pictures, I went on down the trail and found Bob sitting down waiting for me where he had found some pitcher plants. So I took some pictures of them too.
Directions: In order to find the various sections of the park, you need to get a map at the visitor's center or off the internet. The Sundew Trail is located in the Hickory Creek Savannah Unit
We got to the Visitor's Center about one. We went through the exhibits (photos 2, 3, and 5) and then the attendant showed us a 10 minute video tape (the film equipment for the big theatre was destroyed in Rita).
Big Thicket (photo 4) was the first National Preserve, and there are about 7 different locations in the park. It wasn't settled until quite late because it was such an impenetrable area. We talked to the lady who volunteered at the desk (the rangers take off on Monday because they work on weekends) about her experiences in Rita - she lives in Beaumont.
Address: Visitor Center 6102 FM 420 Kountze, TX 77625-784
Directions: Enter Beaumont, Texas, via Interstate 10 and then take U.S. Highway 69-287 north from Beaumont. Eight miles north of Kountze, Texas, take FM 420 east and follow the signs to the visitor center.
More Reviews (1)
grandmaR's Related Pages
Beaumont Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Home of Black Gold"
- "Basaic Beaumont Page"
- "Big Thicket"
- "The corner pocket of Texas"
- "jstmetami's new Beaumont Page"
- "Beaumont, Texas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beaumont
- Hotels in Beaumont
- Transportation in Beaumont
- Nightlife in Beaumont
- Restaurants in Beaumont
- Shopping in Beaumont
- Warnings and Dangers in Beaumont
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beaumont
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Beaumont?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaumont
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues