"Summerville SC" Summerville by grandmaR
Summerville Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 122 photos
Display in the Trade Winds Restaurant entrance.
Summerville – known as "The Flower Town in the Pines" – is located in Dorchester County north of Charleston. .
Our son, DIL and two grandchildren live there, so we visit fairly often.
Our most recent visit was by boat to Patriot's Point in November 2003. Other visits, in inverse order..
We drove down from Leonardtown for Thanksgiving 2002
We visited by boat and rental car on our way north in the Spring of 2002, and stayed at the Charleston Maritime Center.
In the fall of 2001, we came south by boat and stayed at Isle of Palms and rented a car.
In the spring of 2001, we stayed at Buzzard's Roost on our boat on our way north.
On our first trip south by boat in 2000, we stayed at Patriot's Point for Thanksgiving week.
Prior to that we drove down from Leonardtown several times in our car.
History: "Situated on a pine-forested ridge, it was first inhabited in the late 1700's as Charlestonians and other inhabitants of the SC Lowcountry sought respite from the summer heat, mosquitos and disease..[in]higher elevation to live temporarily or "maroon," in the tiny forest colony soon dubbed Summerville. ..
"Modernization came to town with the arrival of the railroad in the early 1800's and led the village to incorporation. Trees were being cut in large numbers for laying rails and the clearing of lots to relocate the commercial center near the tracks. To protect Summerville's biggest asset, the village became an official town in 1847, passing a first law prohibiting the cutting of certain-sized trees without permission, and fining offenders a then hefty $25. That ordinance, one of the oldest of its kind in the United States, is still on the books.
"...While still recovering from the War Between the States, Summerville suffered extensive destruction during the 1886 earthquake, followed by a downtown fire which wiped out most of the buildings surrounding the town square...
".. The International Congress of Physicians declared Summerville as one of the two best places in the world for the treatment and recovery of lung disorders. .. founded in the purported healing aspects of.. [pine] tree's turpentine scent. ..
"Summerville's .. motto [is], "The Flower Town in the Pines." ..[in the] early spring ..[there are] millions of spring blossoms, particularly azaleas, in private and public gardens, including the mid-town Azalea Park. ..The motto on the town's official seal is "Sacra Pinus Esto- The Pine is Sacred".
"The town's population hovered around 3,000 for nearly a century, not reaching 6,000 until the late 1970's. Then, as a bedroom community for the larger urban centers in the area, resulted in a doubling of the population in the 1980's. . . The 2000 Census declared that the Town of Summerville's population was 27,752."
- In a nutshell:Two of our grandchildren live here.
Our family ate here the first night we were in Summerville. It turned out to be right next to our hotel, but as often as... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Summerville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Summerville SC"
- "Springtime in Summerville"
- "Summerville, SC"
- "summerville south carolina"
- "WILDEFLOWER's new Summerville Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Summerville
- 19 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Summerville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Summerville
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: Driving from SFO to Yosemite"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bake Shop and Restaurant"
- Wrote a Review Under construction in Summerville Restaurants
- updated a Summerville Travelogue "Children, Grandchildren and Grand-pets"
- Commented on one of MandaJ320's Summerville travel pages
Photos in SummervilleSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues