"Swing Bridge Trouble Spot" Socastee by grandmaR
Socastee Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 31 photos
In 1936 Intracoastal Waterway was completed and dedicated at Socastee April 11.
We go through Socastee via Socastee Creek at the end of the Pine Island Cut. Socastee Creek joins the Waccamaw River near Enterprise Landing. They have built a high fixed bridge here, but they retain the old swing bridge. It is necessary to call the Socastee bridge on the radio, and so it is necessary to know how to pronounce the name of the town. I always do it wrong.
I usually pronounce it saw CAST ee. I'll have to remember the correct pronounciation.
Socastee (SAW-kuh-stee), uninc. city, Population ((year 2000): 14,295 Males: 7,217 (50.5%), Females: 7,078 (49.5%)), Horry co., E S.C., 6 mi/9.7 km W of Myrtle Beach, on Intracoastal Waterway; El Socastee Yacht Basin is here.
Elevation: 14 feet
Land area: 13.4 square miles
Zip code: 29575
Median resident age: 34.2 years
Median household income: $40,436 (year 2000)
Median house value: $109,500 (year 2000)
Ancestries: United States (14.5%), Irish (13.8%), German (12.8%), English (10.2%), Italian (5.8%), Scotch-Irish (3.6%).
For population 25 years and over in Socastee CDP
High school or higher: 83.6%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.5%
Graduate or professional degree: 3.1%
Mean travel time to work: 21.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Socastee CDP
Never married: 24.9%
Now married: 56.7%
5.4% Foreign born (3.1% Latin America, 1.0% Asia, 0.9% Europe).
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Wilmington, NC (83.0 miles, pop. 75,838).
Nearest cities: Forestbrook, SC (3.1 miles), Surfside Beach, SC (5.5 miles), Garden City, SC (6.9 miles), Red Hill, SC (7.2 miles), Myrtle Beach, SC (8.1 miles), Bucksport, SC (8.4 miles), Murrells Inlet, SC (10.1 miles), Conway, SC (11.4 miles).
Industries providing employment: Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (21.0%), Retail trade (18.6%), Construction (11.8%).
A recurring problem on the ICW for folks with masts that are 65 feet tall is the clearance under the fixed bridges. It... more travel advice
I am not sure if this is actually Hague Marina, but it seems to be the closest picture I have - this marine is cheek by... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Socastee Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Socastee
- 4 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Socastee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Socastee
Photos in SocasteeSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues