"Marine Boot Camp" Parris Island by grandmaR
Parris Island Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 49 photos
We never actually visited Parris Island until we went to see our grandson graduate from boot camp. It was a rainy couple of days and the graduation was held in the All-Weather facility. Some of the pictures like this one taken through the front windshield have raindrops on the edges
We passed Parris Island for the first time by boat on December 1, 2000 - it was after we had visited our son's family (including the grandson who eleven years later arrived here to become a Marine).
We passed again on the way north in March 26, 2001, and then again on our way south in November 18, 2001 and coming north March 23, 2002. There used to be a military marina here, but it has silted in - with the 9 foot tides it would need to be deep so that boats would not be aground at high tide.
After 2002, we went outside from Charleston SC to Florida so we didn't pass Parris Island again
We convoyed down to where our grandson thought there might be a lighthouse, but it was an observation tower for the... more travel advice
On parents day, the parents can come and see where their sons have been living for the last couple of months. These are... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Parris Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marine Boot Camp"
- "More Boot Camp Photos"
- ""The Cost We Paid For Freedom Was Not Free!""
- "MCRD Parris Island"
- "site of marine corp recruit depot"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parris Island
- Hotels in Parris Island
- Transportation in Parris Island
- Restaurants in Parris Island
- Shopping in Parris Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Parris Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parris Island
- 4 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (192)
Have you been to Parris Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parris Island
Photos in Parris IslandSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues