"Staging at Isle of Palms" Isle of Palms by grandmaR
Isle of Palms Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 61 photos
Isle of Palms is a barrier island on the South Carolina coast, less than 20 minutes from Charleston.
May 17, 2002 the City of Isle of Palms received the designation of a Blue Wave Beach by the Clean Beaches Council, the first in South Carolina.
The island's average temperature from November to March is 57 degrees. The summer season from April to October averages 74 degrees. The average ocean temperature from May to September is 81 degrees.
We usually do the trip south to Charleston from Georgetown SC by stopping at Isle of Palms. Because we certainly don't want to go to McClellanville again like we did on our first trip south in 2000. On our second trip south in 2001, we got pinned to the dock by the NE winds and could not get to the Martime Center where we had reservations.
Then when we come north, the distance from Beaufort to Charleston is so great that we have to stop on the south side of the city and take another day to go across the harbor to Isle of Palms where we stop again so that we can get to Georgetown going north the next day.
April 4, 2002 We went from Charleston Maritime Center to Isle of Palms- only 9 miles, but there's no convenient place to stop between there and Georgetown. We had a heck of a time getting into the dock so that we were pointed out because we had NE winds 20-25 knot again.
Next stop: Georgetown
- Pros:Good stopping place on the north side of Charleston Harbor
- In a nutshell:Beach town
Last time we went by the Isle of Palms marina, I took a picture of this boat. I found out it is one of the ones from... more travel advice
Isle of Palms has a fascinating history. According to the IOP.net website: "Originally named Hunting Island and then... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Isle of Palms Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WILDEFLOWER's new Isle of Palms Page"
- "Staging at Isle of Palms"
- "Isle of Palms, South Carolina"
- "iop rocks"
- "The Isles of Charleston"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Palms
- Hotels in Isle of Palms
- Transportation in Isle of Palms
- Nightlife in Isle of Palms
- Restaurants in Isle of Palms
- Shopping in Isle of Palms
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isle of Palms
- 8 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Isle of Palms?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Palms
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues