Hilton Head Island Favorite Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
Hilton Head Island Favorites: 20 reviews and 18 photos
Marsh scene at the Hilton Head museum
Favorite thing: Hilton Head is all about Nature, but it is Nature groomed so that it looks pretty and doesn't interfer with the main playground - kind of like Disney for Golfers. It is a pretty island and has nice beaches, but it also has an attitude about it which is really irritating. My sister won't visit here because of the "Plantations", and while I think she's being too PC about it, I find the gated community concept terribly elitist, and hate the idea of covenants. It is arrogant to charge for admission to a place where the main goal is to induce you to spend your money for their additional profit. At the very least the sign and light restrictions are dangerous at night.
Fondest memory: Seeing the birds outside the elevator of our condo and realizing that there was a birds nest on the top of the REAL lighthouse of Hilton Head. We did enjoy walking the self guiding trail next to the museum also.
Gatehouse in Arthur Hills Plantation
Favorite thing: People who own property on Hilton Head are not allowed to:
a) Park a pick-up truck on the island at their house
b) Have a garden in their yard
c) Paint the house except in a few mandated colors so as not to spook the deer or something. No red roofs allowed, even on the Red Roof Inn
d) Dry laundry outside.
The Hilton Head website remarks:
"All business’ signs are the same colors. Soft shades of tan, green, rose, and dusky blue are mostly the only colors allowed because Hilton Head prefers everything to blend into the environment instead of looking over-developed.
Personally I'd like to be able to find a restaurant or gas station without using binoculars.
Another problem with Hilton Head:
" There are more than 10 gated communities on Hilton Head Island, a handful more past the bridge to the mainland, and plenty of ungated neighborhoods scattered in between. A Hilton Head Island gated community is locally referred to as a plantation. Shipyard Plantation, Palmetto Hall Plantation Club, Wexford Plantation, Port Royal Plantation, and Hilton Head Plantation are some examples.
I'm not at all happy with the idea of gated communities. For instance to see Fort Mitchel, you have to get through community gate. To eat at a restaurant that is in one of the communities you have to go through a gate, and at least ONE gated community has a toll charge for all the cars that go through the gate.
More Reviews (34)
- See All Day Trip to Savannah GA
- See All Shoppes in Sea Pines and Other Locations
- See All By the FAKE Lighthouse
- See All Pinckney Island National Wildlife...
- See All Shipyard Plantation
grandmaR's Related Pages
Hilton Head Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bikes, Boating and Beaches (plus Golf and Tennis)"
- "Welcome to Hilton Head Island"
- "Hilton Head Island"
- "Hilton Head Island: A Southern Paradise!"
- "Hilton Head baby!"
- "hilton head island south carolina"
- "Hilton Head, South Carolina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hilton Head Island
- Hotels in Hilton Head Island
- Transportation in Hilton Head Island
- Nightlife in Hilton Head Island
- Restaurants in Hilton Head Island
- Shopping in Hilton Head Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Hilton Head Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hilton Head Island
- 36 Reviews
- 185 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (516)
Have you been to Hilton Head Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hilton Head Island
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: Monterey,Cambria, Los Angeles"
- updated a Hilton Head Island Travel Page "Bikes, Boating and Beaches (plus Golf and Tennis)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "By the FAKE Lighthouse"
- Wrote a Review Day Trip to Savannah GA in Hilton Head Island Things to Do
- Commented on one of tpangelinan's Hilton Head Island travel pages
Photos in Hilton Head IslandSee All Photos (185)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 367 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues