"Bikes, Boating and Beaches (plus Golf and Tennis)" Top 5 Page for this destination Hilton Head Island by grandmaR

Hilton Head Island Travel Guide: 219 reviews and 406 photos

My sister won't stay at Hilton Head because of the "plantations", even though her husband would probably enjoy the golf.

As far as I am concerned the big black mark on Hilton Head is the signature lighthouse which masquerades as a real Aid to Navigation for mariners. It is not and never has been a real lighthouse. It is just a tourist attraction in the shape of a lighthouse.

I'm also against covenants and I think Hilton Head's are particularly egregious.

Except for our first trip, when we stayed at the Outdoor Resorts for one night, we've gone from Beaufort to Thunderbolt on each trip on the ICW.

So in 2005, we stopped by Hilton Head for a week when we were traveling by car. The main Hilton Head activities at this time of year (winter) are biking, tennis, and golf. None of those were of interest to us, but I wanted to see something of the island other than what we saw at the marina.

Hilton Head has been inhabited as early as 10,000 B.C.

It got its name when in 1663, it was surveyed by William Hilton, an English sea captain, sailing from Barbados. Hilton claimed it for the British crown, and named it for himself .. Hilton's Headland.

• Cons:Huge Tides - Aground at Low Tide
  • Last visit to Hilton Head Island: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2011

• Keywest9's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Being in the dark on Hilton Head Island is my version of Hell! With macula degeneration I can't see in low light. l will never go there again. 2 nights on foot & car trying to find 1 simple restaurant on Pope down the street from the Holiday Inn.

• MUPPETinMA's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2007 at 3:08 PM

I grew up there and can tell you that pick-up trucks are certainly allowed, as are gardens. And there are reasons for the plantations. As a resident of an island with over 3 million visitors annually, it's nice to not have strangers in your back yard.

• Feb 18, 2007 at 8:00 AM

Loveed your pictures. My family and I are planning a trip to Hilton Head. We have never been there. Your comments and pictures we very helpful. Thank you for sharing.

• Wendy67's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2007 at 7:34 AM

Enjoyed your page. I was there years ago for a brief visit and didn't get to explore. Thanks for your suggestions on my forum thread!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2005 at 4:14 PM

Maybe I'm real hungry right now, but those photos you showed from the restaurants were....so appealing! Your restaurant tips were very detailed! We love Hilton Head and have been there many times. I want to go back!!

• Mar 29, 2005 at 9:14 AM

I am a boat capt. for Daufuskie Island Resort & Breathe Spa in Hilton Island Island and am wishing to know the storys you were told about how Daufuskie was named. We were told that it was given that name by the chechessee indains and means "sharp feather.

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Hilton Head Island

Have you been to Hilton Head Island?