"ICW Trip 2001 Leg 14 Georgetown SC" Georgetown by grandmaR
Georgetown Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 102 photos
The first time we came down the ICW in 2000, we skipped Georgetown because we were trying to get to Charleston before Thanksgiving. We stopped in McClellanville instead (see McClellanville page). We decided never to go there again, so on the way back we stopped in Georgetown. We wanted our friends to see Georgetown too, so we've stopped there each time since then.
SIMPLICITY (dink MANANA) and JAZZABELLE, KNOCKOFF and CAROLINA passed us. BAD BOY was behind us for awhile. She had a *huge* US flag flying from the top of the mast, and then a large MD flag and then a US Navy flag.
The Socastee Swing bridge has apparently been completely decommissioned and is permanently open (it was back in operation when we came back up unfortunately). We went down the Waccamaw River (SANGRIA II that we saw in Belhaven) also passed. We saw Bucksport (see Bucksport page) which is supposed to have great sausage and passed Wacca Wachee Marina (see Murrells Inlet page) also on our way to Georgetown.
We went to The Boat Shed (a marina). There were a ton of boats anchored in Georgetown including SHARON LEE. We tied up by 12:50 after 51.3 miles or a total trip of 475 nm.
Max and Lucette went to explore the town and met Sharon and her husband from SHARON LEE, and they came by in the dink. There was a Morgan OI (Out Island) behind us on the dock from Baltimore. They have two boys on board age 9 and 14 and are homeschooling. Their cousins came down from Columbus to see them, and the boys were fishing off the dock. One caught a little croaker.
The Rice Museum gift shop was open, but not the Rice Museum itself. SWEET SENSATION came in and anchored, as did the yawl that was the inside boat on our raft (named MONDAY MORNING). A big motor yacht named GOT the FEVER also came into the marina.
We found that there were NO restaurants in town open on Sunday night, so Lucette phoned around and we found that a restaurant named Lafayettes out on US 17 was open so we walked out (about 8 or 9 blocks). They had a buffet for $6.95 each.
The Morgan behind us which wants to get to Charleston today left at first light. We were underway by 6:20. BAD BOY passed us and so did the trawler ALLEY CAT. A big tug passed us by Belle Grove mansion. I tried to see the Esterville Mansion from the water, but it was obscured by 'seasonal foliage'.
We went into the Esterville-Mimm's canal and passed the Cat Island free running ferry. There is about 20 knots of wind. There is a group of boats anchored in Alligator Creek - we see their masts. WAYWARD is one of them and calls us on the radio to ask about conditions. I tell them that there is considerable cross current (we are crossing a whole delta of rivers and creeks) and wind, but no waves.
MARY FRANCES (that we saw in GA coming up last year) passes us, and so does NORTH STAR the Gozzard that was in the South Mills lock with us.
Next: Isle of Palms
- Pros:Nice town to walk around in
- Cons:Rolls up the sidewalks before dinner
- In a nutshell:The Rice City
It should come as no surprise to find that there are three McDonalds in Georgetown In addition to the one pictured on... more travel advice
I saw the sign for Tony's famous pizza when we drove through Georgetown, but we'd already had lunch. The reviewer says:... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Georgetown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Summer, 2003"
- "georgetown south carolina"
- "ICW Trip 2001 Leg 14 Georgetown SC"
- "Georgetown: Charleston's Little Sister"
- "Georgetown, South Carolina"
- "Around town"
- "Some Georgetown Scenes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Georgetown
- Hotels in Georgetown
- Nightlife in Georgetown
- Restaurants in Georgetown
- Shopping in Georgetown
- Warnings and Dangers in Georgetown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Georgetown
- 17 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (542)
Have you been to Georgetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Georgetown
Photos in GeorgetownSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues