"Start of the Civil War" Fort Sumter National Monument by grandmaR
Fort Sumter National Monument Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 67 photos
We see Fort Sumter from a distance whenever we cross Charleston Harbor on the ICW or go in or out of Charleston Harbor
From the NPS website:
The first engagement of the Civil War took place at Fort Sumter on April 12 and 13, 1861. After 34 hours of fighting, the Union surrendered the fort to the Confederates. From 1863 to 1865, the Confederates at Fort Sumter withstood a 22 month siege by Union forces. During this time, most of the fort was reduced to brick rubble. Fort Sumter became a national monument in 1948.
Whenever we are in Charleston, we try to visit some of the local attractions. This spring, my husband and I took my son and grandson and granddaughter, and we took the trip out to Ft. Sumter.
For additional information on visiting the fort, see my Charleston tip.
- Cons:Only access by water
- In a nutshell:Guards the entrance to Charleston Harbor
The first engagement of the Civil War took place at Fort Sumter on April 12 and 13, 1861, and after a brief battle, the... more travel advice
When we got off the ferry, we walked around with a ranger for a short (10 minute) tour. After that we walked around on... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Fort Sumter National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Start of the Civil War"
- "Basaic Fort Sumter Page"
- "Fort Sumter"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Sumter National Monument
- Transportation in Fort Sumter National Monument
- Shopping in Fort Sumter National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Sumter National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Sumter National Monument
- 7 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Fort Sumter National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Sumter National Monument
Photos in Fort Sumter National MonumentSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues