"N0T The First Key" Daufuskie Island by grandmaR
Daufuskie Island Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 15 photos
The story that everyone loves to tell about this island is that it was the Gullah for "The First Key". The idea was that the little islands or keys were numbered instead of names. It is interesting that there's no Second Key or Third Key or Fourth Key.
So, only the first key was named this way? - NOT.
It is more likely that it is an Indian name. BobbyMcGee, a boat capt. for Daufuskie Island Resort & Breathe Spa, said he was told that it was given that name by the Chechessee Indians and means "sharp feather".
- Pros:Only accessable by boat - no bridge
- Cons:Only accessable by boat - no bridge
grandmaR's Related Pages
Daufuskie Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "N0T The First Key"
- "Dusky Daufuskie, an island apart from time"
- "Quiet, Peaceful and Isolated Daufuskie"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Daufuskie Island
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Daufuskie Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Daufuskie Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 248 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues