"Queen of the South" Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston by grandmaR

Charleston Travel Guide: 800 reviews and 1,760 photos

Charleston Aquarium

We usually stay several days to a week in the Charleston area when we are passing up and down the ICW because our son and grandchildren live there.

Because of the logistics of the area we almost never stay in Charleston proper. The first year (2000), we stayed at Charleston Harbor Marina in Patriot's Point on the way down and at Buzzard's Roost Marina on John's Island on the way back in 2001.

The second trip in the fall of 2001, we never got away from the marina in Isle of Palms, although we had fully intended to go to the Charleston Maritime Center. We finally managed this on the way north at Easter of 2002. The Maritime Center is convenient to the Charleston Aquarium and the ferry to Ft. Sumter.

This last trip (2003), we again stayed in Patriot's Point because the Maritime Center didn't have room.

Ft Sumter Ferry

Gulls prospecting the ferry wake. In addition to the laughing gull and the freighter, you can also see (if you know where to look), a power boat on the left, the lighthouse on Sullivan's island in the background behind the container ship, and just to the right of the container ship is a buoy, and to the right of that the smudge is a three masted schooner. Under the gull on the right is a sailboat heading out to sea. I think I also see dolphins in the wake.

Easter 2002 - March 26 to April 3, 2002

We left Ross Marine (on John's Island) March 26th and went to the Charleston Maritime Center, which was only 11 sm.

We had a nice visit with our son, DIL and the grandkids at Easter. They took us to a Passion Play at a local church. The kids were off school, so we visited Ft. Sumpter and the SC aquarium.

Bob and our son also put a new timing chain on the Grand Marquise and got it back on the road. We left there April 4th to go to Isle of Palms.

The photo shows the waterfront on the ICW in our boat.

• Pros:Histoic sites and good public transportation
  • Cons:Terrible current and tides
  • In a nutshell:Called the Holy City because of the many churches
  • Last visit to Charleston: Apr 2002
  • Intro Updated Feb 3, 2004

• Aug 5, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Was in Charleston for my niece's wedding in 12/03. Did a walking tour of the old buildings and just loved it. Weather was mild enough for a sweatshirt..in December! I love the wide, white porches of the Southern homes...so stately yet welcoming.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2006 at 11:43 PM

I like the old buildings. Very informative page about this lovely town!

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2004 at 9:23 PM

I love Charleston! On my next visit I now plan to go to the aquarium.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2003 at 10:58 AM

I am happy to comment on this fine page on Charleston, S.C.! Excellent tips and nice pictures!

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Charleston

Have you been to Charleston?

Latest Activity in Charleston