"Queen of the South" Top 5 Page for this destination Charleston by grandmaR
Charleston Travel Guide: 797 reviews and 1,760 photos
We usually stay several days to a week in the Charleston area when we are passing up and down the ICW because our son and grandchildren live there.
Because of the logistics of the area we almost never stay in Charleston proper. The first year (2000), we stayed at Charleston Harbor Marina in Patriot's Point on the way down and at Buzzard's Roost Marina on John's Island on the way back in 2001.
The second trip in the fall of 2001, we never got away from the marina in Isle of Palms, although we had fully intended to go to the Charleston Maritime Center. We finally managed this on the way north at Easter of 2002. The Maritime Center is convenient to the Charleston Aquarium and the ferry to Ft. Sumter.
This last trip (2003), we again stayed in Patriot's Point because the Maritime Center didn't have room.
Gulls prospecting the ferry wake. In addition to the laughing gull and the freighter, you can also see (if you know where to look), a power boat on the left, the lighthouse on Sullivan's island in the background behind the container ship, and just to the right of the container ship is a buoy, and to the right of that the smudge is a three masted schooner. Under the gull on the right is a sailboat heading out to sea. I think I also see dolphins in the wake.
We left Ross Marine (on John's Island) March 26th and went to the Charleston Maritime Center, which was only 11 sm.
We had a nice visit with our son, DIL and the grandkids at Easter. They took us to a Passion Play at a local church. The kids were off school, so we visited Ft. Sumpter and the SC aquarium.
Bob and our son also put a new timing chain on the Grand Marquise and got it back on the road. We left there April 4th to go to Isle of Palms.
The photo shows the waterfront on the ICW in our boat.
- Pros:Histoic sites and good public transportation
- Cons:Terrible current and tides
- In a nutshell:Called the Holy City because of the many churches
When we go to Charleston Harbor Marina (which is in Mt. Pleasant) we get a 'goodie bag' from them which often has some... more travel advice
The purpose of the canal was to shortcut the route planters from the interior of SC took to get their products to... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Charleston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charleston, SC"
- "Welcome to Charleston SC"
- "charleston, south carolina"
- "The Definitive Guide to Charleston, SC"
- "Queen of the South"
- "The City of Southern Charm, Charleston"
- "Lovely Charleston"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charleston
- Hotels in Charleston
- Transportation in Charleston
- Nightlife in Charleston
- Restaurants in Charleston
- Shopping in Charleston
- Warnings and Dangers in Charleston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charleston
- 30 Reviews
- 121 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Charleston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charleston
Photos in CharlestonSee All Photos (121)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues