"Beautiful Beaufort" Top 5 Page for this destination Beaufort by grandmaR
Beaufort Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 214 photos
Beaufort is a lovely little town, with a historic district right on the river within easy walking distance of the marina. It is also right on the ICW so we don't have to waste a lot of time getting to it.
However, in order to get from here to Charleston, it is quite a long hard day. We have to start really early because the Ladies Island Bridge just north of the marina has restricted opening hours and if we do not reach it before the restrictions start, we will not make it all the way to Charleston.
Parris Island Marine Base is south of Beaufort. There used to be a military marina here, but it has silted in - with the 9 foot tides it would need to be deep so that boats would not be aground at high tide.
Next stop going south Thunderbolt GA.
When we went south in 2003, we went from Charleston to the Saint Mary's River in Florida, and we did the same coming north in 2004.
Our final visit to Beaufort was by car in February 2005.
In addition to Parris Island south of Beaufort, there is a marine air base north of the town. We see this fuel dock each time we come through here going down the river and speculate that it is connected with the marine base. It is a sign that we are approaching our destination or that we are on our way.
After the first time (fall 2000) when we by-passed Beaufort and went from Dataw (Datha) Island to Hilton Head, we've always stopped in Beaufort. The first time was in the spring of 2001.
After the spring 2001 trip north (when we ripped out the top of the staysail), we've always staged the trip on the south side of Charleston rather than trying to get all the way from Beaufort in one day. On the way down in the fall of 2001, we stopped at Ross Marina on Johns Island.
On March 24, 2002 we came up from Thunderbolt to Beaufort SC (47 sm). The ice cream place we liked was closed earlier than the times on the sign said. There was also a BIG thunderstorm while we were there. I was glad we were safely tied to the dock.
Coming back to Charleston, we were again aiming to get to Ross Marine. But we still have to leave early because of the bridge restriction.
Next stop going north - Johns Island and Charleston SC
- Pros:Lovely historic district near the waterfront
- Cons:Restricted bridge north of town
- In a nutshell:Beaufort pronounced as in Beautiful Beaufort
There is happy hour every night, and there was a reception for the graduates from 6 to 8, so we went over for dinner at... more travel advice
Beaufort is almost surrounded by water, so there are many different on the water options for getting to or seeing... more travel advice
- See All Gift Baskets
- See All Hurricanes, Live Oaks and Spanish Moss
- See All Edward Barnwell House 1785 (#28 on...
- See All University of South Carolina at Beaufort
grandmaR's Related Pages
Beaufort Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "beaufort south carolina"
- "Beautiful Beaufort"
- "Beaufort, Beaches and History"
- "Sinking into Beautiful Beaufort"
- "Randall_Burt's new Beaufort Page"
- "GRACIOUS BEAUFORT, SOUTH CAROLINA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beaufort
- Hotels in Beaufort
- Transportation in Beaufort
- Restaurants in Beaufort
- Shopping in Beaufort
- Warnings and Dangers in Beaufort
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beaufort
- 52 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Beaufort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaufort
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues