"Roger Williams Was Here" Wickford by grandmaR
Wickford Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 127 photos
Smith's Castle was painted red when we visited in the 1970s. Going by the website, it is now white.
Wickford is a historic seaside village founded in the mid 1600s, with the densest concentration of original late Revolutionary and Federal period houses anywhere in New England. Boaters and sailors find Wickford an ideal stop on a cruise through New England waters. The community was named after village in England
Wickford is in Washington County, in the Providence-New Bedford metro area. The community is in the Eastern Standard time zone.
The latitude of Wickford is 41.573N. The longitude is -71.461W.
Wickford is on Narragansett Bay.
Wickford's most famous native in recent times is John Updike. People think that Wickford is where his popular novel, "The Witches of Eastwick" was set. (The movie was not made in Wickford.)
It was also the boyhood home of Gilbert Stuart, whose portrait of George Washington graces the $1 bill.
One of the big events in Wickford is The Wickford Art Festival which is held on the first full weekend after Independence Day.
South of Wickford in the mill town of Hamilton was the Hamilton Web Company. We used to go there to buy braids, lace and... more travel advice
You can see how close to the road everything here has been built. My husband drove our big pickup truck down the street... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Wickford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PRECIOUS LITTLE WICKFORD VILLAGE"
- "Roger Williams Was Here"
- "Wickford, The Most Charming Seaport Village"
- "Rhode Island's colonial-era gem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wickford
- Hotels in Wickford
- Transportation in Wickford
- Restaurants in Wickford
- Shopping in Wickford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wickford
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Wickford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wickford
Photos in WickfordSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues