"Country Living 1971-1973" Greene by grandmaR

Greene Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 15 photos

In 1968, Bob went to the aircraft carrier Intrepid which was in the Philippines. The carrier came around South America and went into the yard in Philadelphia. So we lived in a Philadelphia suburb from January to August 1969. In August the carrier came out of the yard and went to Pensacola for the winter, and I moved with the children back home with my mother. Next the carrier went into the Boston shipyard and we moved up to Lexington and lived there for the summer of 1970. When the carrier came out of the yard it was home ported at Quonset Point. So in 1970, we bought a raised ranch with three bedrooms upstairs, two baths upstairs and a half bath, laundry room and a family room downstairs. Over Columbus Day 1970, we added two bedrooms downstairs

We lived in Greene, RI (named for the Revolutionary War General) from October 1970 to December 1973. Actually we lived on a state highway between Greene and an even smaller town named Summit. Although we were closer to Summit, it didn't have a post office. The photo taken from the house shows my oldest two children raising the flat on our flagpole. The state highway (Flat River Road - RI Highway #117) is back of them.

My sister came to visit and we lined our children up on the lawn in front of the house more or less in order of age. Left to right - my oldest, my niece, my 2nd, my nephew, my 3rd, my niece. My son isn't in this picture.

• Pros:Peace and Quiet
  • Cons:A long drive to get somewhere
  • In a nutshell:Rural New England
  • Last visit to Greene: Nov 1973
  • Intro Updated Nov 28, 2014

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2003 at 8:24 AM

Yeaaa!! let's hear it for Rhode Island! I sold a house out there a year or so ago.

grandmaR Used To Live Here!

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Greene