"College Days - 45 years ago and Today" Top 5 Page for this destination Oberlin by grandmaR

Oberlin Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 197 photos

I graduated from Oberlin College with a degree in Zoology. The photo is one my dad took of me and my new husband of three days.

I have a lot of photos that I took when I was a senior (1958-1959) in the travelogues, and also in some of the Travel Tips.

Long Gone has 8 old photos - Wright Zoological Laboratory, the old Botany building, a street scene, the Conservatory at night, Grey Gables Co-op, WOBC, Pyle Inn Co-op and Shurtleff.

Victorian Buildings and Landmarks has a 1959 picture of Memorial Arch, old and new pictures of Finney Chapel and Tappen Square and new pictures of Westervelt and Charles Martin Hall's home.

Reunion Activities has 2004 pictures taken at the Saturday reunion 'picnic' and of Grey Gables parking lot among others.

Under Travel Tips:
Must See tip has an inset of Carnegie Library

Restaurants has 2004 picture of the Dascomb Hall dining room

Accommodations has old and new pictures of the Oberlin Inn plus new photos of the dorms with an inset of the north campus Men's quad from 1959.

Nightlife has a 2004 photo of the Apollo Theatre

Off the Beaten Path has old pictures of Johnston Walk and the War Memorial and a current photo of the Charles Martin Hall statue.

Warnings and two of the Transportation Tips have pictures of the snow in Oberlin.

Local Customs has inset pictures of First Church and Dascomb and a current photo of Tank.

Shopping has a current picture of Gibson's.

Sports Tips has insets of Warner Gym and a football game.

General Tip has an inset of the old Men's Building and a sunrise over snow taken from my dorm room at Grey Gables.

I have been back twice since 1959. Once for my 10th in 1969. A lot of the buildings that were there when I was a student were already gone then, including the dorm where I spent 3 years.

But Peters is still there, recently renovated, and is now the oldest building on campus. There is a date of 1895 over the door.

My second time back was in 2004 for my 45th reunion. Except for the landmark reunions like the 50th, we have 'cluster' reunions and so it was the class of 1958's 46th, our 45th and the class of 1960's 44th. They put us all together in one dorm and this is good because one of my roomates was the class of 1958, and I wanted to see her again.

Peters used to be the main administration building with some classrooms. I did a Skinner box experiment for pysch in the attics of Peters.

Tappen Square was still there of course, and so were some of the businesses in town.

Many of the buildings that remain have been put to alternate uses from the ones they had when we were there. For instance, our excellent Carnegie Library is now the Admissions Office.

Pictures taken in 2004 were taken with a digital camera. The ones taken in 1959 were taken with a Kodak Retina Reflex and Ectachrome slide film and digitized.

• In a nutshell:The Town and Gown
  • Last visit to Oberlin: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2008

• Apr 27, 2009 at 5:55 PM

I go there from Chicago because they make the best candies and baked goods that I know of. At Christmas time the hand dipped marshmellow candy (and the marshmellow is homemade!) and hand made candy canes will make you Christmas.

• iamjacksgoat's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2008 at 9:06 AM

I much enjoyed your Oberlin page. I'm a senior in high school and recently fell in love with the town and the college. Your pictures are very nice!

grandmaR Used To Live Here!

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Oberlin

Have you been to Oberlin?

Latest Activity in Oberlin