"Ceramics" East Liverpool by grandmaR
East Liverpool Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 36 photos
I got directions to the AAA office on my cellphone, and once there got travel guides to PA/NJ; Mid Atlantic (MD, VA, DE, DC), and OH/ IL,/IN, and maps to PA, OH, and WV. After we picked up our maps and guidebooks, we left the car in the AAA parking lot (free) and strolled around town a bit looking for a restaurant that the AAA people had recommended. We didn't find it, so we had lunch at Shining Reflections Tea Room for $13.13 (double what we paid yesterday at McDonalds but still not expensive).
Then we visited the Ceramics museum which is a 'Must See' in East Liverpool. It cost us $6.50 each and was quite interesting. The Ceramics museum is across the street from the AAA office.
After we left East Liverpool, we drove on up towards Youngstown where we got on the Ohio Turnpike (I-80) at 1412 (2:12 pm) which is a toll road. We went west for $2.85 worth to Elyria to spend the second night.
In 1795. Thomas Fawcett bought land along the Ohio River from Isaac Craig and planned a town which he named St. Clair, after Authur St. Clair, Govenor of the Northwest Territory at the time. The town residents of St. Clair changed the name to Fawcettstown. In 1816, the name was changed again to Liverpool by nostalgic English potters. In 1834 when the town was incorporated, the town was renamed East Liverpool to avoid confusion with the Liverpool in Medina County Ohio.
Because the area was surrounded by deposits of clay and coal, the city prospered and became well-known for its ceramics. At one time, "America's Crockery City" made half of the nations pottery. The the industry has declined since 1930.
East Liverpool was the location for the capture and killing in 1934 of Pretty Boy Floyd, a 30's gangster.
- In a nutshell:Pottery Capitol of the United States
Oberlin Ohio where I went to school has or had a Carnegie Library. It isn't the only one. There are111 libraries which... more travel advice
As we walked around East Liverpool we could not help but notice that there were lots of little antique and collectables... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
East Liverpool Travel Guide
- Things to Do in East Liverpool
- Transportation in East Liverpool
- Restaurants in East Liverpool
- Shopping in East Liverpool
- See All...
Badges & Stats in East Liverpool
- 7 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (512)
Have you been to East Liverpool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in East Liverpool
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues