"A Milestone in History" Wright Brothers National Memorial by grandmaR
Wright Brothers National Memorial Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 43 photos
Most people think that the Wright Brothers made their first flight at Kitty Hawk. But that's just the place that the telegram was sent from.
The 60-foot granite monument on top of 90-foot tall Kill Devil Hill commemorates the first successful sustained powered flights in a heavier-than-air machine made by Orville and Wilbur Wright on December 17, 1903. And the monument is on Kill Devil Hill, because that's where the first flight was made.
I didn't climb up Kill Devil Hill, although there might have been a nice view.
The NPS recommends that a visit should include touring the museum exhibits at the Wright Brothers National Memorial Visitor Center Page and at the First Flight Centennial Exhibit Buildings, participating in a ranger conducted program, touring the reconstructed camp buildings and first flight trail area, and a climb up Kill Devil Hill to view the memorial pylon.
Written May 4, 2005
Two Brothers - Two Visits
Written May 6, 2005
Informational Signs and Exhibits
grandmaR's Related Pages
Wright Brothers National Memorial Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Milestone in History"
- "Honoring Aviators"
- "History of Flight"
- "Basaic Wright Brothers National Memorial Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wright Brothers National Memorial
- Warnings and Dangers in Wright Brothers National Memorial
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wright Brothers National Memorial
- 11 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Wright Brothers National Memorial?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wright Brothers National Memorial
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hotels to Add to VT"
- Commented on one of DEBBBEDB's Wright Brothers National Memorial tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Memorial Tower"
- updated a Wright Brothers National Memorial Travelogue "Informational Signs and Exhibits"
- Wrote a Review Camping on the Outer Banks in 1900 in Wright Brothers National Memorial Favorites
Photos in Wright Brothers National MemorialSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues