"Camp LeJeune MCB" Sneads Ferry by grandmaR
Sneads Ferry Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 47 photos
Sneads Ferry used to be the site of an actual ferry, but the old ferry has been replaced by a fixed bridge.
We go through Sneads Ferry on our way north and south through the NC ICW. I've put the narrative of the 2000 trip under Sneads Ferry because we anchored in Mile Hammock Bay which is on Camp LeJeune. I took a picture of the entrance when we went through here in 2003 but there is no one in the anchorage at the time we went by.
Snead's Ferry is just south of the Camp LeJeune Marine Corps Base and the Onslow Beach swing bridge (below) which is operated by the Marine Corps. On our first trip north and south, the bridge was operated efficiently. On the second trip, when we came north, the bridge operator was surly and the operation of the bridge was somewhat dangerous in that he did not open the bridge on time and the current was causing vessels to go aground or be carried so close to the bridge that the bridge would hit them when it was opened. It wasn't much better this time.
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina, located at 34o 33.9 North, 77o 23.51 West in the United States of America is the premier vacation area on the east coast of the United States, best known for fresh caught seafood. Snead's Ferry calls themselves the shrimp capital of the east coast and celebrate it with the annual "Sneads Ferry Shrimp Festival" held during the second weekend of August every year since 1971, and the miles of unspoiled, publicly accessible beaches just minutes away on the barrier island of Topsail Island.
Sneads Ferry, Holly Ridge and North Topsail Beach, occupy the southern portion of Onslow County, home of "Camp Lejeune" the US Marine Corps largest amphibious training facility in the world. Camp Lejeune sits directly across the New River from the Sneads Ferry waterfront & just south of the US Marine Corps "New River Air Station" one of the largest helicopter stations in the US Marine Corps.
According to the 2000 US Census, Sneads Ferry's approximate population is 12,031 people, dispersed among the 2681 families living in the area.
Population (year 2000): 2,248
Males: 1,150 (51.2%), Females: 1,098 (48.8%)
Median resident age: 37.2 years
Median household income: $34,509 (year 2000)
Median house value: $110,000 (year 2000)
Races in Sneads Ferry:
White Non-Hispanic (90.3%)
Two or more races (1.6%)
American Indian (1.3%)
Other race (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (14.7%), United States (13.7%), Irish (10.7%), German (10.1%), Italian (3.5%), Dutch (2.7%).
For population 25 years and over in Sneads Ferry CDP
High school or higher: 81.5%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.8%
Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
Mean travel time to work: 28.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sneads Ferry CDP
Never married: 17.2%
Now married: 62.2%
2.6% Foreign born (1.4% Europe, 0.9% Asia, 0.4% Latin America).
The total land area in Sneads Ferry is 9.733 sq. kilometers (3.8 square miles), while the amount of surface water is 5.404 sq. kilometers
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Jacksonville, NC (14.5 miles, pop. 66,715).
North Topsail Beach, NC (7.3 miles),
Holly Ridge, NC (12.2 miles),
Surf City, NC (13.8 miles),
Piney Green, NC (13.9 miles), Jacksonville, NC (14.5 miles), Pumpkin Center, NC (16.0 miles), Half Moon, NC (18.9 miles), Swansboro, NC (20.3 miles).
Industries providing employment: Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (14.1%), Construction (13.1%), Educational,health and social services (12.4%), Retail trade (11.1%).
Elevation: 28 feet
Zip code: 28460
Area code: 910
- Cons:ICW May be Closed due to Live Amunition Drills
- In a nutshell:Beach and Seafood town
A major PITAs on the ICW is the Onslow Beach Swing Bridge run by the Marine Corps. In the fall of 2000, the spring of... more travel advice
Just north of Snead's Ferry the ICW crosses Camp Lejeune. When the marines are doing exercises, they sometimes use live... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Sneads Ferry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Camp LeJeune MCB"
- "PELICANPERCH's new Sneads Ferry Page"
- "Pics Around Sneads Ferry, NC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sneads Ferry
- Shopping in Sneads Ferry
- Warnings and Dangers in Sneads Ferry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sneads Ferry
- 7 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (571)
Have you been to Sneads Ferry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sneads Ferry
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- grandmaR updated an itinerary North Carolina - Take a Ferry - Visit a Lighthouse.
- updated a Sneads Ferry Travel Page "Camp LeJeune MCB"
- Wrote a Review Onslow Beach Swing Bridge in Sneads Ferry Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Onslow Beach Swing Bridge"
Photos in Sneads FerrySee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 745 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 664 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 178 reviews, 406 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 50 reviews, 274 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 58 reviews, 263 photos, 7 travelogues