"The "Lost" Colony" Roanoke Island by grandmaR
Roanoke Island Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 84 photos
Roanoke Island was the site of the 16th century English colony. It is now known as the "Lost Colony" because when supply ships arrived at the site, everyone was gone. It was named after the historical Roanoke Carolina Algonquian people who inhabited the area at that time. In the summer, there is a play on Roanoke Island about the Lost Colony.
There are two towns on the island which may have been named for two tribal leaders. Manteo is in the north central part of the island and Wanchese is on the southern end.
The tourist attractions which we visited were:
# Fort Raleigh National Historic Site
# North Carolina Maritime Museum on Roanoke Island
# Roanoke Island Festival Park
# Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse
We also went to the Elizabethan Gardens.
.. my grandfather visited Roanoke Island and mailed some post cards to my grandmother from Maneo. He didn't say much on... more travel advice
Not all the restaurants were open this time of year, but this one was. It was a very friendly and inexpensive place and... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Roanoke Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "b1bob goes to Roanoke Island, NC"
- "Three Visits to Roanoke after Thanksgiving 2004"
- "Meet my friend - the shark ;-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roanoke Island
- Hotels in Roanoke Island
- Transportation in Roanoke Island
- Nightlife in Roanoke Island
- Restaurants in Roanoke Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Roanoke Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roanoke Island
- 10 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Roanoke Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roanoke Island
Photos in Roanoke IslandSee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 732 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues