"ICW Trip 2001 Leg 9 Oriental" Oriental by grandmaR
Oriental Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 45 photos
Oriental is one of our favorite places to stop on the ICW. So we were anxious to show it to our friends.
We got under way very early on November 6th. I was a little worried about the winds in Pamlico Sound, but we really don't have to be in it much. The winds were brisk going down the Bay River and up the Neuse, but nothing too rough. The Oriental Marina put a sailboat in next to us named YANKEE COWBOY, which was so wide we scraped on both sides of the slip. He came in late and had gone 100 miles that day because he'd lost time to weather he said and he had to make it up (maybe he was a delivery skipper - I wouldn't want to do it that way). Our favorite restaurant (M&Ms) was closed on Tuesday, so we ate at the motel restaurant which was also good.
Nov 7th, YANKEE COWBOY got underway at 5:30 am, but we waited until 6. We were going to Beaufort NC, but decided to skip that (several people said it was overpriced, and indeed all the marinas were very expensive plus our friends had already been there).
Next stop Swansboro
When we came back up the ICW in the spring, we went through Morehead City (pictures on Morehead City page), and a Swedish boat came in behind us. We stopped in Oriental. M &M's was open this time, and we had a good dinner. I got a kick out of the Oriental Sailing School boats. One named BEGINNER'S LUCK, and the other STUDENT DRIVER.
It was REALLY foggy in the morning. We went out anyway. We could just see the first mark, and Bob turned to where he thought the 2nd mark was. I had just put the screen on the GPS that shows your previous track, when the depth sounder went off. We could see a red and a green off to the right, but Bob insisted that they weren't our marks. I could point to the GPS and say - see - yesterday afternoon you were over there, and they are too our marks.
Next stop: Belhaven
- Pros:Boat oriented town
- Cons:Tends to be foggy in the morning
- In a nutshell:Good place for sailing
The Bean is Oriental's coffee shop on the harbor, and has become a favorite village gathering place. SInce I don't drink... more travel advice
On prior visits, the Tiki Bar has been under construction or not in operation. However this time, it was in full swing.... more travel advice
Written Apr 16, 2009
2000, November 12-13 First Trip Whitaker Creek
Written Jan 19, 2004
Coming north in the Spring of 2001
Written Jan 22, 2004
2003 November 7-8 Dowry Creek to Oriental
Written Oct 2, 2010
April 2004 - Last Visit to Oriental
grandmaR's Related Pages
Oriental Travel Guide
- Hotels in Oriental
- Nightlife in Oriental
- Restaurants in Oriental
- Shopping in Oriental
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oriental
- 13 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Oriental?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oriental
- Posted in Travel Grenada Forum "Re: Day-trip to Carriacou?"
- updated a Oriental Travelogue "April 2004 - Last Visit to Oriental"
- Uploaded a Photo to "April 2004 - Last Visit to Oriental"
- Wrote a Review At the end of the harbor in Oriental Shopping
- Commented on one of NYMansour's Oriental travel pages
Photos in OrientalSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues