"Ferry In - Ferry Out" Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke by grandmaR
Ocracoke Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 225 photos
You can only get to Ocracoke Island by boat or plane. Ocracoke is in Hyde County and is one of the barrier islands of the Outer Banks of North Carolina where the pirate Blackbeard is known to have once hung out. The island is noted for fishing and birdwatching.
The first European visitor was probably Sir Walter Raleigh's 1585 colony in their flagship, "Tiger" which ran aground on a sand bar in Ocracoke Inlet and was forced to land on the island for repairs.
The name Ocracoke is undoubtedly Indian in origin. It was shown on the earliest maps as "Woccocon". In 1715, the name had become Ococcock and soon after shown on maps as Ocracoke.
Established as a port in 1715, Ocracoke (pronounced OHK-ruh-coke) grew in importance until 1787, when 697 vessels reached North Carolina through Ocracoke Inlet. The village of Ocracoke, on the southern soundside, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. It includes the 1823 Ocracoke Lighthouse as well as several historic commercial building and over 100 homes.
The town is laid out with Old World irregularity along sandy streets overhung with moss-covered oaks and yaupon.
This picture is probably of the Lighthouse Keepers Cottage (of the Ocracoke Lighthouse). The house is now occupied by Park Service personnel; please respect their privacy.
I know that Ocracoke has a small airstrip, but I didn't remember seeing it. I also don't remember taking this picture... more travel advice
The somewhat gull dropping spotted sign on top of the electrical connection for slip number 13 says: Fees Collected... more travel advice
- Fishing Rod Racks
- See All National Park Service Docks
- See All Coldest Beer on the Island
- Dinner on the Water at Sunset
grandmaR's Related Pages
Ocracoke Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ocracoke Island"
- "A place to unwind"
- "Welcome to Ocracoke Island"
- "Ferry In - Ferry Out"
- "FreeCloud's new Ocracoke Page"
- "Mandi_Lu's Ocracoke Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ocracoke
- Hotels in Ocracoke
- Transportation in Ocracoke
- Nightlife in Ocracoke
- Restaurants in Ocracoke
- Shopping in Ocracoke
- Warnings and Dangers in Ocracoke
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ocracoke
- 33 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (517)
Have you been to Ocracoke?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ocracoke
Photos in OcracokeSee All Photos (104)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 367 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues