"Port and power boat place" Morehead City by grandmaR
Morehead City Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 64 photos
Until the spring of 2005, we had never visited Morehead City. I took these photos as we passed by in the spring of 2002. Beaufort and Morehead City are adjacent, and Beaufort is supposed to be the sailboat town and Morehead City is the power boat town.
Morehead City is also a major port. The city is home to several marine-research facilities such as the Institute of Marine Sciences and the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries. It is also home to the Ferry Division of the North Carolina Department of Transportation and serves and a port of the Second Division of the US Marine Corps at Camp Lejeune.
According to the North Carolina Port page of Port Facts
Four miles from the open sea
Situated along the Newport River and Bogue Sound
5,500 ft. of continuous wharf
Two berths served by modern ship-loader and maximum loadout rate of
3,000 tons per hour of bulk cargo
Dry-bulk facility (used mainly for phosphate) with 225,000-ton capacity warehouse, conveyor system and shiploader
Wood chips handling facility which can outload 1,000 tons per hour with a two million-ton annual capacity
Concrete capped sheet pile bulkhead, solid fill with 1,000 psf concrete deck with rubber and/or timber fender system
Deck height averages 10 ft. above mean low water
Apron widths from unrestricted to 45 ft. opposite transit sheds
Well-lighted wharf areas and 24-hour security
Barge Fleeting Area
Over 90 acres available for development on Radio Island
Tides and Climate
Mean tide range 2.9 ft., current velocities 2 to 3 knots
Mild temperatures year 'round with rare snow accumulation
Harbor Features (US Army Corps of Engineers Project Dimensions)
Ocean bar channel depth of 47 ft. M.L.L.W. and width of 450 ft.
Inside harbor channel depth of 45 ft. M.L.L.W. and widths of 400, 600, 775 and 820 ft.
East turning basin depth of 45 ft. M.L.L.W. and diameter of 1,420 ft.
West turning basin depth of 35 ft. M.L.L.W. and 1,200 ft. radius
Depth of 45 ft. M.L.L.W. at NC Ports berths 1, 2 and 3; 35 ft. M.L.L.W. at Berths 4 through 9
This area of North Carolina's "Crystal Coast" was the product of extensive planning by John Motley Morehead, governor of North Carolina from 1841 to 1845. He envisioned "a great commercial city" where Shepherd's Point intersected with the Newport River and Beaufort Inlet. Plans were developed to extend the North Carolina Railroad from Goldsboro to Shepherd's Point.
The first lots were sold at public auction in 1857. When the railroad was completed a year later, the area seemed destined for rapid development as a major port. However, Morehead City's continued development as a port was interrupted by The Civil War. Following the war, the shipping terminal deteriorated, but the railroad continued hauling vast quantities of seafood to the state's inland sections.
The section of the city known as the "Promised Land," -along Bridges Street- was settled by refugees from the whaling communities on Shackleford Banks. These communities, approximately six mile east of Morehead City by boat, were utterly destroyed by the great hurricane of 1899.
In recent years, a large charter-fishing fleet has developed. The town has regained its commercial viability as a modern port terminal as well as a being the "sound-side" of the Atlantic Beach resort trade.
- Pros:Friendly and cheaper than Beaufort
- Cons:Commerical and power boat oriented
We went to eat over the bridge in Morehead City - we went out looking for Charlie's, and could not find it. We saw AJ's... more travel advice
When we passed through Morehead City by boat for the last time, we saw the Mystery out fishing with the other fishing... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Morehead City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port and power boat place"
- "North Carolina's second port"
- "Morehead City"
- "Home Sweet Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Morehead City
- Nightlife in Morehead City
- Restaurants in Morehead City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Morehead City
- 13 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Morehead City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Morehead City
Photos in Morehead CitySee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues