"Free Ferry" Knotts Island by grandmaR
Knotts Island Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 28 photos
Just south of Virginia Beach across the NC border is Knott's Island & Mackey Island which are mostly water, swamp and pine & oak trees. Most of the land around Knott's Island is in the Mackay Island National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge office is located in North Carolina, one mile south of the Virginia state line on NC Route 615. To reach the refuge, take the free Currituck Sound Ferry in Currituck, NC on Route 168. The ferry lands at NC Route 615 at the south end of Knotts Island. Travel approximately 8.1 miles north to the refuge office.
This ferry is also used by the high school and middle school students to get to school.
Mackay Island National Wildlife Refuge was established on Knotts Island in 1960 as a winter haven for migratory birds. In the winter, the refuge focuses on marsh and water management to provide food for thousand of swans, ducks, and geese inhabitants. In the spring, the refuge opens its trail system for visitors to view the huge variety of watebirds and songbirds.
Although we drove along through the refuge, these gulls were the only birds we really saw.
- Cons:Secondary School Students go to school on the mainland
- In a nutshell:Free Ferry Terminus
We got really lost trying to get to Knotts Island from the Dismal Swamp Canal and South Mills. It should not have been... more travel advice
We didn't get a chance to do much sightseeing here. There are some people who have winter homes here, and I understand... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Knotts Island Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Knotts Island
- Transportation in Knotts Island
- Restaurants in Knotts Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Knotts Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Knotts Island
- 9 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Knotts Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Knotts Island
Photos in Knotts IslandSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues