"Ancestral Home" Henderson by grandmaR
Henderson Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 88 photos
Vance County was formed: in 1881 from parts of Granville, Franklin and Warren counties; anyone born prior to 1881 was not born in Vance County, though they may have been born in a county that would become Vance.
73 percent of present-day Vance was previously Granville County (predominantly the western part of Vance)
27 percent of present-day Vance was previously Warren & Franklin counties (the eastern and southern portions of Vance)
Neighbors: Vance County is bounded by:
north: Mecklenburg County, VA
east: Warren County, NC
west: Granville County, NC
south: Franklin Co, NC
Named for: Zebulon Baird Vance (b1830 - d1894), former NC governor, state legislator, congressional representative and US senator. Zeb Vance was from Buncombe County in western North Carolina.
Henderson, the county seat of Vance County, is a community on the northern border of NC.
Time zone: Eastern Daylight Saving
Named for Leonard Henderson, state Supreme Court justice
Well-known residents have included:
· Ben E. King, R&B singer
Population (year 2000): 16,095
Males: 7,260 (45.1%), Females: 8,835 (54.9%)
Elevation: 509 feet
Land area: 8.2 square miles
Zip code: 27536
Median resident age: 35.5 years
Median household income: $23,745 (year 2000)
Median house value: $75,100 (year 2000)
Nearest cities: South Henderson, NC (1.3 miles), Oxford, NC (12.6 miles), Stovall, NC (13.9 miles), Franklinton, NC (15.7 miles), Norlina, NC (16.9 miles), Louisburg, NC (17.2 miles), Warrenton, NC (18.1 miles), Youngsville, NC (21.2 miles).
Area code: 252
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Raleigh, NC (38.6 miles, pop. 276,093).
Nearby parks & recreation: Kerr Lake State Recreation Area
Historic sites and museums: Mineral and Lapidary Museum, Vance County Historical Museum
Colleges and universities: Vance-Granville Community College
Henderson Central Business Historic District is Garnett St. from Church to Young Sts.
My mother was born in Henderson and all her mother's family is from that area. On a trips through the area, I will stop by Elmwood Cemetery to visit and photograph the family graves.
I had the steak special (8 oz ribeye with a side of spaghetti) and Bob had ravioli. The dinner for two (no drinks, no... more travel advice
My ancestors grew tobacco and started a tobacco warehouse business. Tobacco was one of the principal businesses of... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Henderson Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Henderson
- 10 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Henderson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Henderson
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues