"Jumpoff Point for Cape Lookout" Harkers Island by grandmaR
Harkers Island Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 17 photos
From our condo in Atlantic Beach we took a day trip to Harker's Island, so I could I get a stamp for the Cape Lookout National Seashore at the VIsitor's center. We looked through the scope at the lighthouse and saw a video tape about the seashore.
We looked through the scope at the lighthouse and saw a video tape about the seashore. The lighthouse has a diamond pattern on it to distinguish it from Hatteras and Bodie Island. They call this area "The Crystal Coast".
It is a ghost town because when Hatteras Inlet was opened by a hurricane, all the ship traffic went there. It has been and is being restored by the park service.
You can't get out there except by boat, and this time of year the boats don't run much. Also it is very windy. I took some photos of a kite surfer practicing just off the island.
We saw this building in 2005 (photos 2 and 3) but did not visit as we were not sure it was open. It is a new building... more travel advice
When we got to the end of Harker's Island, we looked for the Cape Lookout Light. We went to the visitor's center, and I... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Harkers Island Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Harkers Island
- Hotels in Harkers Island
- Restaurants in Harkers Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harkers Island
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Harkers Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harkers Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 732 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues