"Given to the State of NC for $1" Fort Macon State Park by grandmaR
Fort Macon State Park Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 26 photos
When we were visiting Atlantic Beach, we took an afternoon trip to go to Fort Macon which was just a short distance from our unit.
We went out to the point first overlooking the channel and saw a tug and barge which was apparently doing some dredging. Bob saw them in the morning from the unit window.
After we came back from walking down to the beach we found the actual fort. Which was constructed starting in 1826 as one of a second tier of forts protecting the east coast. It was used in the Civil War, served as a prison, and was used again in the Spanish American war. Then it fell into disrepair and was sold to the state of NC for $1. It was renovated by the CCC. During WW II it was taken back by the Federal Government for use against German submarines. At the end of the war it reverted to the State of NC.
The casement museums had sections on the construction of the fort, the enlisted men's quarters and the Commandant's Quarters during the Civil War with recorded messages about their lives. Then there was an exhibit on 19th century soldiers life and uniforms, a restored gunpowder magazine, the WW II barracks, the bake house, the commissary storeroom and the kitchen.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Fort Macon State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Given to the State of NC for $1"
- "Fort Macon State Park, Atlantic Beach, NC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Macon State Park
- Shopping in Fort Macon State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Macon State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Macon State Park
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Fort Macon State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Macon State Park
Photos in Fort Macon State ParkSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues