"Important Colonial Port" Edenton by grandmaR
Edenton Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 67 photos
Edenton was an important port because the American ships could sneak in through the Outer Banks and sail up Albemarle Sound. They wouldn't have to go to Norfolk or and of the more easily blockaded ports. These cannon represent some of the ones that were shipped to Edenton to defend the town. The town couldn't pay for them when they arrived, so the captain apparently put them on a barge anchored out off the town and waited 3 years until the town raised the money to pay for them. During the Revolution, there was a scare where the citizens were told that Cornwallis was going to come through the town. Since the only people in town were the aged, infirm, women and babies, the citizens became panicky. Refuge at in an adjoining county estate was offered, and most everyone evacuated. The town was essentially deserted for several days. Cornwallis was diverted and never actually got to Edenton, so people returned.
A pair of mallard ducks in the harbor area.
We came to do research on wills and such at the courthouse but we also wanted to see if we could come by boat and stay more cheaply to do additional research.
You can approach Edenton on US Rt. 17 (the way most folks come), or you can come across the Sound on highway 32. Edenton is on the shore on the left. At the very end of the highway is the fixed high level bridge which gives modern sailboats access to Edenton's docks.
We made a flying visit to Edenton in March 2005 and ate lunch at the Waterman's Grill. Then we went on to Fort Story.
- Pros:Historic and Folkloric
- Cons:Rooted in the past
- In a nutshell:One of the prettiest towns in NC
The restaurant has a small wine & beer retail shop in the waiting area that carries a variety of imported beers. We... more travel advice
Cupola House (which is on the walking tour) is considered one of the finest wood structure Jacobean style houses in the... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Edenton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Important Colonial Port"
- "liv2padl's Edenton Page"
- "cjg1's new Edenton Page"
- "Elizabeth_53's Edenton Page"
- "Charming Historic Edenton - Freecloud's view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edenton
- Hotels in Edenton
- Restaurants in Edenton
- Shopping in Edenton
- Warnings and Dangers in Edenton
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Edenton
- 15 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Edenton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edenton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues