"ICW Trip 2002" Coinjock by grandmaR

Coinjock Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 25 photos

April 14, 2002

We left the Alligator River Marina at 0700, and had gone 5 miles by 0800. I put the renumbered daymarks and buoys onto the flip chart and also onto the computer charts. QUEEN BEE passed and slowed AFTER she passed.

By 11:40, we were coming up to SM 55 in the North River. We tied up at the Coinjock Marina after a trip of 36.2 sm at an average speed of 6.7 mph.

The Coinjock marinas do not have slips. Everyone ties up along long docks that are parallel to the ICW. (See Sports tip)

We tied up behind a power boat named ELIZABETH B. from New Bern NC. In front of them was PEANUT, SPECIAL SELECTION (Edgewater), and HER HONOR. TWO OLD BEARS came in behind us, NERIUS behind them and RAVEN behind them. I called Waterside Marina to make a reservation, and then called our son. MIDNIGHT MAIL went past.

Then we had dinner at the restaurant - not the 32 oz. prime rib this time. (see Travelogue of previous visit)

15 April, 2002

We left Coinjock knowing that we needed to be through the Jordan lift bridge before the restrictions went into effect at 3:30 pm. I figured that we could do it if we left at 7:00, but I was afraid there might be a holdup at the lock, so I told Bob we had to leave at 6. It was dark, but we had pushed off the pier by 5:59. We had to get from sm 49.5 to the Jordan Bridge at about sm 3.0.

It was overcast, and we could sail a little in Currituck Sound. Saw the Currituck Ferry with a school bus on it. We got to the North Landing swing bridge at 10:20, and waited until 10:30 for the opening. We met a barge. Then we had to wait a long time for the Centerville Turnpike Swing Bridge because it was 5.1 sm between them - too far for us to go in half an hour.

We got to the Great Bridge Bridge at about noon, with a trawler named VENTURE ahead of us and a tug with a barge on the hip pretty far back under the fixed bridge. Went through the Great Bridge Bridge and into the Great Bridge Lock for the noon locking. VENTURE was the only other boat in the lock with us. I was afraid the barge would catch up, but he did not.

More pictures of the Bridge and Lock under Great Bridge

Next - Norfolk VA and the Jordan Lift Bridge.

• Pros:Only one lock between here and Norfolk
  • Cons:A lot of commercial traffic in this area of the ICW
  • Last visit to Coinjock: Apr 2002
  • Intro Updated May 4, 2004

• Nov 14, 2003 at 12:45 AM

I love your pics of Coinjock. I remember couple years ago, ther was only the small bridge (for cars ) I miss the old bridge. Many years going Roanoke Rapids,NC to Kitty Hawk,NC... only a couple places to stop and get gas....long long time ago...

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2003 at 8:37 PM

I pass through Coinjock all the time on the way to the OBX.

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Coinjock

Have you been to Coinjock?