"ICW Trip 2002" Coinjock by grandmaR
Coinjock Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 25 photos
We left the Alligator River Marina at 0700, and had gone 5 miles by 0800. I put the renumbered daymarks and buoys onto the flip chart and also onto the computer charts. QUEEN BEE passed and slowed AFTER she passed.
By 11:40, we were coming up to SM 55 in the North River. We tied up at the Coinjock Marina after a trip of 36.2 sm at an average speed of 6.7 mph.
The Coinjock marinas do not have slips. Everyone ties up along long docks that are parallel to the ICW. (See Sports tip)
We tied up behind a power boat named ELIZABETH B. from New Bern NC. In front of them was PEANUT, SPECIAL SELECTION (Edgewater), and HER HONOR. TWO OLD BEARS came in behind us, NERIUS behind them and RAVEN behind them. I called Waterside Marina to make a reservation, and then called our son. MIDNIGHT MAIL went past.
Then we had dinner at the restaurant - not the 32 oz. prime rib this time. (see Travelogue of previous visit)
We left Coinjock knowing that we needed to be through the Jordan lift bridge before the restrictions went into effect at 3:30 pm. I figured that we could do it if we left at 7:00, but I was afraid there might be a holdup at the lock, so I told Bob we had to leave at 6. It was dark, but we had pushed off the pier by 5:59. We had to get from sm 49.5 to the Jordan Bridge at about sm 3.0.
It was overcast, and we could sail a little in Currituck Sound. Saw the Currituck Ferry with a school bus on it. We got to the North Landing swing bridge at 10:20, and waited until 10:30 for the opening. We met a barge. Then we had to wait a long time for the Centerville Turnpike Swing Bridge because it was 5.1 sm between them - too far for us to go in half an hour.
We got to the Great Bridge Bridge at about noon, with a trawler named VENTURE ahead of us and a tug with a barge on the hip pretty far back under the fixed bridge. Went through the Great Bridge Bridge and into the Great Bridge Lock for the noon locking. VENTURE was the only other boat in the lock with us. I was afraid the barge would catch up, but he did not.
More pictures of the Bridge and Lock under Great Bridge
Next - Norfolk VA and the Jordan Lift Bridge.
- Pros:Only one lock between here and Norfolk
- Cons:A lot of commercial traffic in this area of the ICW
We went here on the way back up the waterway for the last time. This marina is much nicer than the Coinjock Marina. They... more travel advice
Taxi or limo service is available to and from the Norfolk, Virginia in Coinjock, but I have been completely unable to... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Coinjock Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Coinjock
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Coinjock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coinjock
Photos in CoinjockSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues