"Belhaven NC - One Half Horse Town" Belhaven by grandmaR
Belhaven Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 117 photos
Originally named Jack’s Neck, Belhaven was once a bustling industrial town with a half-dozen lumber companies and a branch of the Norfolk and Southern Railroad.
Now, Belhaven is a waterfront town. The big tourist attraction is Eva Blount's museum. The main town building (pictured) combines the museum, the town hall and the police station in one building. There are a very limited number of restaurants. There are no internet providers (not even AOL), and only about 3 pay phones. There is a small hospital (Pungo District Hospital) in town, one hotel, and a bed and breakfast.
We've been to Belhaven six times. On our first trip south in November 2000, we tied up at Robb's Marina, which has now gone out of business. On the way back in April 2001, we went to Dowry Creek - the writeups for that are under Leechville.
On our second trip south in November 2001, we wanted to visit the Eva Blount Way Museum, so we timed the trip so that we would be in Belhaven on a weekday. Our friends weren't interested in the museum, but we liked it. On our way back in 2002, we stayed at Robbs for the third time, but it had gotten more expensive.
The trip in the fall of 2003, we went back to Dowry Creek, since we had heard that Robbs had gone out of business and we didn't want to chance going to the new marina. Then in the spring of 2004 we stayed at Belhaven Waterway Marina.
- Pros:small walkable town, friendly people
- Cons:small town - rolls up the sidewalks at night
- In a nutshell:One horse town
grandmaR's Related Pages
Belhaven Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Belhaven
- Hotels in Belhaven
- Transportation in Belhaven
- Restaurants in Belhaven
- Warnings and Dangers in Belhaven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belhaven
- 34 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Belhaven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belhaven
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 248 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues