Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Things to Do Tips by grandmaR
Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Things to Do: 1 reviews and 2 photos
Map of the refuge
Because I feel so guilty about using this location for the marina tip and travelogues, I did a little research to determine where the refuge actually is. Apparently it is on the east side of the Alligator (the marina is across the river on the west side). Much of it is accessible only by water (the area at the headwaters of the river), but there is one handicapped accessible trail.
Are there actual alligators there?
The website says:
"Many species of wildlife call Alligator River home. The Refuge and it's surrounding waters support many resident and migratory species of wildlife. Of these, 48 are fish, 200 are birds, 48 are reptiles and amphibians, and 40 are mammals. The Refuge supports wildlife species which are important from both a regional and a national standpoint. Its large size and dense vegetation make the Refuge a haven for species which avoid man, such as the black bear. Also, the Refuge harbors many species adapted to living in forested habitat, as opposed to disturbed areas, such as field edges. Many neotropical migrants, such as prothonotary warblers, black-throated green warblers, prairie warblers, Swainson's warblers, worm-eating warblers, and red-eyed vireos, nest in the thick pocosin vegetation. Wood ducks, barred owls, and other cavity nesters seek the old trees found in this large expansive forested area."
There may be alligators or there may have been alligators in the river but I suspect they are relatively rare.
Address: P. O. Box 1969, Manteo, NC 27954
Directions: Between the east bank of the Alligator River up to the Alligator Pungo Canal and the west side of Croatan Sound. Automobile access via US 64.
More Reviews (5)
grandmaR's Related Pages
Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICW along the Alligator River - no alligators"
- Create a Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travel Page
- Things to Do in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- Restaurants in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lac du Chevril Hotels
- Ischia Porto
- Porpoise Islands Hotels
- Kendal Hotels
- Cherokee Hills Hotels
Badges & Stats in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- 6 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Winter weather"
- updated a Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travelogue "Last Visit to the Alligator - April 2004"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alligator River Refuge"
- Commented on one of grandmaR's Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge travel pages
- Wrote a Review MM 105 Anchorage at head of Canal in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Sports & Outdoors
Photos in Alligator River National Wildlife RefugeSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues