"Wilson's Creek National Battlefield" Wilson's Creek National Battlefield by grandmaR

When we stayed in Branson in a condo off-season, we had a lot of snow. The last day we were there the snow had melted and it was warmer so we visited Wilson's Creek Battleground - a NPS site which is south of Springfield.

This was actually a very interesting site for finding out about local Civil War history and I got my first stamp in the North Central section of my passport.

On the way back, however, I got us quite lost. I didn't have a Missouri map (this is the only state I've been to so far where there wasn't a Visitor's Center on the entrance road with a place to get a state map), and the Missouri roads are both lettered and numbered. I wanted to go back on route ZZ to route M, but we got onto route FF, which dead ended into a place with a gravel road on one side and the other side started out paved and then became gravel, and when we got to the top of a hill there was a sign which said that the road was flooded at high water. That didn't look promising.

We ended up at the south side of Springfield, and found US 65 to drive back to Branson.

• Intro Updated Apr 5, 2011

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Wilson's Creek National Battlefield

Have you been to Wilson's Creek National Battlefield?

Photos in Wilson's Creek National Battlefield