"Early French Settlement on the Mississippi" Sainte Genevieve by grandmaR
Sainte Genevieve Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 70 photos
Founded by French migrants around 1735, it was the first permanent European settlement west of the Mississippi River in present-day Missouri. It was in the area of the pre-Louisiana Purchase called New France. The town was named for Ste. Genevieve who was the patron saint of Paris. In 1762 at the time of the Treaty of Fountainbleau, France ceded the west bank to Spain. Then in 1763 the land east of the river was ceded by France to Great Britain, so French settlers moved across the river to Ste. Genevieve. After the Louisiana Purchase in 1804, English and Germans also migrated to the village, but it still retained the French culture and heritage.
The main church of historical interest is the Roman Catholic church. The parish of Ste. Genevieve was officially started... more travel advice
We went to the Welcome Center and saw the short video film, but most of the buildings are closed in the winter. Hours:... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Sainte Genevieve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Mother City of The West", Ste. Genevieve"
- "Early French Settlement on the Mississippi"
- "Ste. Genevieve - Lovely Quaint Community"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sainte Genevieve
- Hotels in Sainte Genevieve
- Transportation in Sainte Genevieve
- Restaurants in Sainte Genevieve
- Shopping in Sainte Genevieve
- Warnings and Dangers in Sainte Genevieve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sainte Genevieve
- 7 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (521)
Have you been to Sainte Genevieve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sainte Genevieve
Photos in Sainte GenevieveSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 732 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues