"County Seat" Top 5 Page for this destination Towson by grandmaR

Towson Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 114 photos

Towson (pronounced Tauw-son not tow-son) is the county seat of Baltimore County.

Baltimore County encircles Baltimore City on the west, north and east sides and goes all the way north to the Pennsylvania border. [The Patapsco River and Anne Arundel County are on the south side of Baltimore City.]

When I was in 8th grade, we moved from Roland Park in Baltimore City to Towson. Our house, which my mom lived in until her death in 2006 was one long block in from what was in those days Towson State Teacher's College (or Towson Normal School). Now it is Towson University.

I went to Towson High School which is also about a block from my mom's house. I met my husband in the band when I was a freshman and he was a sophomore in high school. He went to Lila Lee Todd elementary school which was the training ground for the Towson State teachers. In his senior year he transferred to Glen Burnie HS and then went to the USNA.

My mom was an iris judge and had over 300 varieties of iris in the garden in back of our house. She was very interested in iris that rebloom - that is they bloom in both the spring and fall. She even had a rebloomer named after her. Rebloomers bloom a second time in the fall or late summer.

When we cleared the house out, one of her iris friends came and dug most of the iris from the garden. None of this is there anymore.

• Last visit to Towson: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 19, 2009

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Towson