"Potomac Location" Saint George Island by grandmaR
Saint George Island Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 33 photos
St George Island is very low lying land and subject to flooding. After Isabel in the fall of 2003, St. George Island was out of communication with the rest of the county for over a week. St. George's Creek (a tributary of the St. Mary's River - formerly the St. George's River) is on one side, and the Potomac is on the other. The first bridge to the mainland was built in 1923.
After Isabel, many of the houses were built up above the flood area.
St George Island was founded in 1634 and takes its name from St. George, the patron saint of England. It was farmed by the Jesuit priests. The first battle of the Revolutionary War in Maryland took place here in July 1776 when British troops occupied the island. The British also came ashore on the island during the war of 1812.
The Roman Catholic Church owned the island until 1852. At that time they subdivided lots for people to buy and the island was largely settled by watermen from the Eastern Shore who were Methodists.
We've started going here on Tuesday nights for Trivia. The Trivia starts about 7:30, so we get there about 7 and put in... more travel advice
This is a new place which we saw for the first time next to what used to be Evan's Restaurant and is now called Island... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Saint George Island Travel Guide
- Hotels in Saint George Island
- Nightlife in Saint George Island
- Restaurants in Saint George Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint George Island
- 6 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Saint George Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint George Island
Photos in Saint George IslandSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues