"First Stop" Saint Clements Island by grandmaR
Saint Clements Island Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 47 photos
When the Ark and the Dove first arrived in the Potomac, they first stopped at this island, which they named in honor of St. Clements, the patron saint of sailors. They didn't land on the mainland right away because they weren't sure if the Indians were friendly or not.
After the Indians proved to be friendly, on March 25, 1634, they erected a large wooden cross and celebrated a Catholic mass led by Father Andrew White.
In more recent times, the island was known as Blackistone Island after the Blackistone family who owned it. There was once a lighthouse on the island During WW II, the Navy used the island as part of the Dahlgren ordinance testing range.
Today there is a museum depicting early Maryland settlement about a half mile away on the mainland.
See Colton's Point
The sign says "Danger Obstruction". Photo 5 has a satellite view of one of the obstructed areas of the island... more travel advice
In 1934, to celebrate Maryland’s 300th birthday, Governor Albert Ritchie, dedicated a 40- foot commemorative cross... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Saint Clements Island Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Saint Clements Island
- Transportation in Saint Clements Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Clements Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Clements Island
- 7 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (517)
Have you been to Saint Clements Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Clements Island
Photos in Saint Clements IslandSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 367 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues