"Historic Old Church-1767" Saint Andrews Estates by grandmaR
Saint Andrews Estates Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 11 photos
St. Andrew's Parish was created from parts of the neighboring parishes of All Faith and William and Mary in 1744. The first church was called Four Mile Run chapel, built in 1703 and was then part of all Faiths parish as a chapel of ease.
This colonial style church was completed in 1767. It was designed by Richard Boulton, an indentured servant to Col. George Plater. The church is of brick and has an unusual inset portico (another one is seen in Tudor Hall in Leonardtown) and the large palladian window that surmounts the portico. On either side of the portico is a massive brick tower. Also of note is the Flemish-bond brick work, and the two statuary niches in each tower.
One spring, I went on the House and Garden Tour for St. Mary's County. St. Andrews' Church was on the tour. So last fall when I started out to take photographs of foliage, I went down to St. Andrews's Church.
This is a very old historic church in the county. It is still in use - the school buildings are used on election day as poling places. For more information, see my Off the Beaten Track tip.
St. Andrews Estates is nothing but an ordinary ranch house type development plunked down on St. Andrews Church Rd. Most of the surrounding area is woods, swamps and farms.
- Pros:A historic church with interesting architecture
- Cons:Except the church, basically just a housing estate.
- In a nutshell:The inhabitants of the graveyard lead the most exciting lives
Along the local roads you will see farm stands selling vegetables. Some of them are run by the Amish (you can tell... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Saint Andrews Estates Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saint Andrews Estates
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Saint Andrews Estates?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Andrews Estates
Photos in Saint Andrews EstatesSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues