"Calvert County Seat" Prince Frederick by grandmaR
Prince Frederick Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 55 photos
Almost every community has a water tower - sometimes more than one. Prince Frederick has one at the county hospital.
Prince Frederick is one of the three confusing Fredericks in this area.
* Frederick Maryland, which was where Barbara Fritchie of the poem lived ("Shoot if you must this old grey head, but spare your countries flag she said") Frederick is west of Baltimore.
* Fredericksburg Virginia which is south of Washington DC on I-95.
* Prince Frederick (the smallest of the three) which is the Calvert County county seat, and is south of Annapolis. In addition to the county courthouse and other associated buildings, Prince Frederick is the location of the county hospital.
In 1654, Calvert County was established by an Order in Council and called Patuxent County until 1658. The County name derives from the family name of Lord Baltimore, the Proprietary of the Maryland colony. It is pronounced locally as Cul-vert
1990 census: 51,372
2000 census: 74,563
From BWI Airport to Prince Frederick, MD
Approximate Distance: 55 miles
Get on Rt. 195
Turn RIGHT onto Rt. 295
Turn RIGHT onto I-97/Rt. 3 S
Turn LEFT onto Rt. 4
Bear LEFT onto Rt. 260
Bear RIGHT onto Rt. 2
Tobacco. was formerly an important cash crop in Maryland. Tobacco farming became Calvert County's main cash crop and the family farms grew rich through the generations. Now it is virtually extinct after using the money from settlement with the tobacco companies to pay farmers NOT to plant tobacco. There used to be tobacco auctions in each county, but they are no more. Now, you rarely see a field of tobacco in Calvert County. Farms are being replaced by subdivisions. But the tobacco leaf still appears on the Calvert County flag superimposed on the family crest of George Calvert.
Calvert County no longer needs to farm tobacco. It has a very favorable tax base because they allowed BGE to build a nuclear power plant on the Chesapeake in Calvert Co.
Besides the county seat in Prince Frederick, notable places in Calvert County are Solomon's Island, Chesapeake Beach and North Beach.
A little history about Mom and Mom's in the Kitchen from their website: Mom's in the Kitchen started in 1991. We rented... more travel advice
Red, Hot and Blue has locations in Colorado, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania,... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Prince Frederick Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Prince Frederick
- Restaurants in Prince Frederick
- Shopping in Prince Frederick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prince Frederick
- 9 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Prince Frederick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prince Frederick
Photos in Prince FrederickSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues