"From Prison to State Park" Point Lookout State Park by grandmaR
Point Lookout State Park Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 98 photos
Point Lookout is on the extreme southernmost tip of St. Mary's County between the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay.
It was the site of Indian raids in colonial times, and British raids during the Revolution. During the War of 1812, it served as a lookout point, which is where it got its name.
We've anchored off one of the Point Lookout beaches (Cornfield Harbor) several times.
In 1830, a lighthouse was built on the point, and in the 1850s it was a popular vacation destination, but it is probably best known as the location of a Union hospital and prison camp during the Civil War. A relative was held prisoner here. There is a memorial to the prisoners outside the state park, which is the only memorial ever erected by the federal government to an 'enemy'.
After the war it reverted to a resort area which included a luxury hotel. Now it is a state park. There was extensive damage done to the park during Isabel, but it has been repaired and the park is open for the summer (2004)
There is a lighthouse on the extreme end of the point, but it is not actually part of the park.
I took the top picture of the lighthouse when anchored off Point Lookout on the 4th of July in order to paint a screen.
- Pros:Boating and Camping
- Cons:Under Funded
- In a nutshell:State Park
grandmaR's Related Pages
Point Lookout State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Haunted Lighthouses and Civil War Ghosts"
- "From Prison to State Park"
- "Family Picnic at Point Lookout State Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Point Lookout State Park
- Hotels in Point Lookout State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Point Lookout State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Point Lookout State Park
- 26 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (193)
Have you been to Point Lookout State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Point Lookout State Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 359 photos, 12 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues