"Navy Base Town" Lexington Park by grandmaR
Lexington Park Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 91 photos
Lexington Park is an otherwise unremarkable small town - not even the county seat - that is right outside the Patuxent River NAS. The population (year 2000) is 11,021, it has an elevation of 112 feet and an area of 8.0 square miles
The pictured lighthouse cupola used to be part of the Cedar Point Light, which was on the southern shore of the Patuxent River. The lighthouse was abandoned and gradually fell apart. I have painted a picture of it as I imagine it used to be for one of the screens of my sailboat.
The cupola used to be right on MD Rte 235 (Three Notch Rod) in the NAS museum. When the museum was moved so the road could be widened and I believe the cupola went to another museum. The airplanes and the rest of the museum was moved to a temporary location farther up the road.
The building on the right background houses the Peking Restaurant (see tips), and a donut shop among other enterprises.
The Lexington Park area used to be known as Jarboesville (named after the Jarboe family which is one of the local families), and another part of the area was known as Pearson. When the US Navy came to the county in 1941 (just before Pearl Harbor and the outbreak of WW II), the bought up the land that made up Jarboesville and Pearson under the right of imminent domain to built the Patuxent Naval Air Station, they built housing for their employees near the new base. This area was named Lexington Park in honor of the USS Lexington (an aircraft carrier). The Lexington Park post office was established in 1947.
A lot of the stuff that is in the Lexington Park area (zip code: 20653) has a California MD address, so check also the restaurants at California
- Pros:Many Retail Establishments
- Cons:Suburban Sprawl without Tourist Destinations
- In a nutshell:Military Base town
Niko’s was established in 1977 by husband and wife. Niko’s Pizza has been serving homemade authentic Greek foods and New... more travel advice
We came here for a night because we had no electricity and it got really cold in our house. First Bob had to shovel out... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Lexington Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Lexington Park
- Hotels in Lexington Park
- Restaurants in Lexington Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lexington Park
- 16 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Lexington Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lexington Park
Photos in Lexington ParkSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues