"Navy Base Town" Lexington Park by grandmaR
Lexington Park Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 111 photos
Lexington Park is an otherwise unremarkable small town - not even the county seat - that is right outside the Patuxent River NAS. The population (year 2000) is 11,021, it has an elevation of 112 feet and an area of 8.0 square miles
The pictured lighthouse cupola used to be part of the Cedar Point Light, which was on the southern shore of the Patuxent River. The lighthouse was abandoned and gradually fell apart. I have painted a picture of it as I imagine it used to be for one of the screens of my sailboat.
The cupola used to be right on MD Rte 235 (Three Notch Rod) in the NAS museum. When the museum was moved so the road could be widened the cupola was moved to a temporary location farther up the road.
The building on the right background houses the Peking Restaurant (see tips), and a donut shop among other enterprises.
The Lexington Park area used to be known as Jarboesville (named after the Jarboe family which is one of the local families), and another part of the area was known as Pearson. When the US Navy came to the county in 1941 (just before Pearl Harbor and the outbreak of WW II), they bought up the land that made up Jarboesville and Pearson under the right of imminent domain to built the Patuxent Naval Air Station, they built housing for their employees near the new base. This area was named Lexington Park in honor of the USS Lexington (an aircraft carrier). The Lexington Park post office was established in 1947.
A lot of the stuff that is in the Lexington Park area (zip code: 20653) has a California MD address, so check also the restaurants at California
- Pros:Many Retail Establishments
- Cons:Suburban Sprawl without Tourist Destinations
- In a nutshell:Military Base town
We had a coupon - either one Entree & get a second one free or get one salad & get a second one free. Or we could buy 12... more travel advice
This is the restaurant which has just opened which replaced Damons. They have taken out the sports and trivia screens... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Lexington Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Lexington Park
- Hotels in Lexington Park
- Restaurants in Lexington Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lexington Park
- 19 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Lexington Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lexington Park
Photos in Lexington ParkSee All Photos (94)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues