Leonardtown Things to Do Tips by grandmaR
Leonardtown Things to Do: 3 reviews and 15 photos
People on the main fairway looking at soup trailer
Ever since 1967 on the third weekend in October Leonardtown holds the Oyster Festival. There's lots to eat (photo 5 - it isn't just oysters - the Jolly Gents do their BBQ every time) and drink (photo4), rides, a cooking contest, crafts to buy, exhibits, rides for the kids (photo 2), live music (photo 3), and at the end an oyster shucking competition. The winner is the US Oyster Shucking Champion and goes to Ireland to compete over there.
For more information (on entrance fee and food available) see 1998-99-2000 , 2001-02 the 2003 and the 2004 travelogues.
Address: Fairgrounds south of Leonardtown - MD Route 5
Directions: I95 Beltway to Branch Avenue Exit (Md. Rt-5) thru Clinton to Waldorf. Left on Rt-5 S. in Waldorf. Follow Rt-5 to Leonardtown. (Rt-5 splits to right some 20 Miles s. of Waldorf, Md.)
GO through Leonardtown on Rt-5 to the Fairgrounds 2 miles south of town.
Most people think of New England as the prime place to see the trees turn to fall colors. But there are other places where you can see pretty fall colors. The western mountains have fall colors, but they are mostly the yellow of the aspens and contrasted against the dark green of the evergreens.such as in my painting of Colorado of paintings on my home page.
Every fall I try to take some photos of the fall colors around my home. I put some of them under Beauvue and then in 2005, I added 4 more to this page.
In the main picture, the dark green of the invasive vine species (English Ivy) and the green of the lawn contrasts with the leaves of the trees in the ravine behind. This is from my front yard. Other pictures show a red maple on the Leonardtown Middle School grounds, and the trees by the garage
Address: Eastern Seaboard
Directions: Peak color in Maryland is in October.
More Reviews (47)
- See All Pizza and more
- See All Less Relaxing
- See All Dock and Kayak Rental
- See All Owned by Local Artists
grandmaR's Related Pages
Leonardtown Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Leonardtown
- Hotels in Leonardtown
- Transportation in Leonardtown
- Restaurants in Leonardtown
- Shopping in Leonardtown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Leonardtown
- 49 Reviews
- 269 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Leonardtown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leonardtown
Photos in LeonardtownSee All Photos (269)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues