"Blue Collar Glen Burnie" Glen Burnie by grandmaR
Glen Burnie Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 8 photos
My husband Bob moved from Towson to Pasadena in 1953 and he went to Glen Burnie HS for his senior year.
In about 1991, Bob got a job in Baltimore at the Maryland Department of the Environment. Baltimore was 80-100 miles from our home in Leonardtown. At the time I was working for Maryland OSHA which also had an office in Baltimore, but at that time I was a field inspector and worked from home quite a bit. Bob had to go in to the office every day.
He lasted for about 3 weeks commuting back and forth each day and then he found himself a room with a widow near where he worked. He was home only on weekends. But I wasn't - I was often gone on the weekends.
So we decided to get a cheap apartment so we could be together. The cheapest apartment we could get was in Glen Burnie. We had a year's lease. We were on the first floor (the bottom floor was the ground floor) at the back.
From that time until the time I retired in Feb 2000, we commuted almost every weekend back and forth to Leonardtown.
But the apartment turned out to be in a known drug area - we'd hear gunshots. We'd see people's possessions out on the curb when they hadn't paid their rent. And I'd see all these dudes with cell phones and beepers sitting on the fence in front of the apartment. I would see police cars out in the parking lot in the early morning, and one Saturday the police chased the guy in the apartment over ours (we weren't there at the time) up the stairs and arrested him. Someone broke the back window of Bob's 1958 Falcon to steal the stuff inside.
Plus Bob hated living in an apartment. So we bought a house in Brooklyn Park and moved when our lease was up.
We did continue to go to Glen Burnie to shop and/or eat, since our route south could go through this area.
- Pros:A lot of services
- Cons:Crowded with a lot of traffic
We were coming back from my husband's aunt's funeral (both dressed nicely) and I thought we should go somewhere more... more travel advice
We like going here. It is a family run place with interesting art work on the walls. One person takes your order, and it... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Glen Burnie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My home town"
- "Blue Collar Glen Burnie"
- "Pictures of mine"
- "Look what I found in my backyard (well not really)"
- "Watkins Glen,N.Y.,to Niagara Falls,to Altoona,Pa."
- See All...
Explore the World
- Mooresville Hotels
- Clear Lake State Park Hotels
- Den Bosch Hotels
- East Rochester
- Cavite City
- Muff Hotels
- State of Andhra Pradesh Hotels
- Ramnicu Valcea
- Anasco Hotels
- Provincia Constitucional del Callao
- Smuttynose Island
- Kampung Pasir Salak
- Isle of Wight
Badges & Stats in Glen Burnie
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Glen Burnie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glen Burnie
Photos in Glen BurnieSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
Latest Glen Burnie hotel reviews
- Days Inn Glen Burnie
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013