"West of Baltimore" Top 5 Page for this destination Ellicott City by grandmaR
Ellicott City Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 54 photos
Ellicott Mills was originally settled by three Quaker brothers named Ellicott from PA who came to this area and established a grist mill on the Patapsco River in 1772. The community is built on seven hills in the tradition of ancient Rome. They are named Capitoline, Rock , Strawberry, Patapsco, Mulligan, Dutch, and Quaker Hill. In 1830, the B&O Railroad built a train station on land donated by the Ellicotts.
In 1867, the town was chartered and changed the name to Ellicott City. The Howard County government declared Ellicott City a Historic District in 1974. There is a very short walking tour of the town.
I've been to Ellicott City a couple of times, but generally I try to avoid going into the historic part of town as it is a bottleneck. Route 40 and then I-70 bypass Ellicott City.
But in the spring of 2002, my daughter moved back to Maryland from her job exchange in England and bought a house in Ellicott City - not in the Historic District of course, but out in the suburbs.
I never paid much attention to Ellicott City before my daughter moved there. I must confess I still don't go many places... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Ellicott City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ellicott City - Marylands Most Haunted City"
- "West of Baltimore"
- "Ellicott City - The Historic District"
- "jc2000's new Ellicott City page"
- "frankcanfly's Baltimore Metro SOUTHWEST page"
- "Small, but interesting, suburb of Baltimore"
- "A Small Town with A Small Stake in U.S. History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ellicott City
- Hotels in Ellicott City
- Transportation in Ellicott City
- Nightlife in Ellicott City
- Restaurants in Ellicott City
- Shopping in Ellicott City
- Warnings and Dangers in Ellicott City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ellicott City
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (528)
Have you been to Ellicott City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ellicott City
Photos in Ellicott CitySee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues